Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcia_m

seduced by a Clerodendrum quadriloculare...

marcia_m
10 years ago

I bought a Clerodendrum quadriloculare in full bloom from Lowes today for $9.98. (They were selling like hotcakes!) After reading about it on the web, I realize it is good at suckering and I don't need another shrub that does that.

My question is, will it grow in a large pot and survive without extra watering in the summer (I won't be here), or should I return it to Lowes? I realize it won't like the frosts we get, so maybe I should just return it. (But it does look wonderful in bloom!)
Marcia

Comments (17)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    10 years ago

It will not survive without irrigation. If you are not going to be here for the summer, return it to Lowes.

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can always count on you to be straight with me, Ricky--thanks!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Also, Marcia, if you change your mind, keeping it in a pot may not be enough, if it is over bare ground. It has very aggressive roots that could go through the drainage holes, into the ground, and, well, you know the rest of the story. It is also suggested to keep it on a concrete patio or porch.

Did you ever see the movie "Little Shop of Horrors"? Hehehehe...

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Shop of Horrors -

• hester_2009
    10 years ago

I guess we all have different experiences with plants!
    Here's my take...
    I love this tree. I have two in the ground that are now in full bloom. I don't water them and the only issue is that they lose leaves in the cold wind. Suckering is minor and you can easily pull them up.
    When I sold my house 4 years ago, it stayed empty for a year. No irrigation or care and when I drove by, the clerodendrums were beautiful and full. I'm sure there were suckers, however.
    So try it Marcia - the price was right.
    Here's a pic of mine from last year - you can see even not in bloom, it's a pretty thing!
    Hester

( I haven't seen any big roots - have no idea if they would do well in a pot)

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol, thanks for the tips about the drainage holes. The roots are growing out of the nursery pot, so I can guess what it would do if it were sitting on the ground.

Hester, I'm still deciding whether to plant it or not. They are spectacular in bloom. Anyone know whether it blooms on new wood, or old wood?
    Marcia

• kayjones
    10 years ago

Marcia, it better bloom on new wood - lol - mine froze to the ground this winter. If it doesn't come back from the roots, back to Lowes for a refund - it was sold as a perennial.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Hester, it is good to know that it is not problematic for everyone. Eric indicated that, too, in a different thread I think. I wonder if the suckering gets worse as the plant ages/matures? I find that to be the case with most plants I have that tend to sucker or spread. I guess that would be kind of obvious, huh. (As it spreads, it spreads. No kidding, Carol.)

Your yard is just gorgeous. I am envious of all of you that don't get a hard freeze every year. At least two to three hard freezes are inevitable here and so what I can't drag inside or adequately protect, I start all over from the ground up each year. By April, I'm almost about caught up with you. :)

Carol

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    I have two of these well over 20 years old . While they so sucker I can think of a half dozen other species that are MUCH worse lol Among it's good attributes is that it's very easy to grow almost pest free and reliably flowers since it flowers in Feb requires a warm one . This year was particularly spectacular except i have drifts of spent flowers
    all over my new stone paths lol All of the clerodendron family tends to be invasive One of my favorites is C. ugandense "blue butterfly bush" flowers almost 10 months of the year. flowers in two shades of blue Again very aggresive growth but IME does not sucker or seed.
    Does require extensive pruning as it tends to grow out rather than up. Leaves are not particularly interesting but there is a variagated variety if you can find it but makes up for it in being bug free , conatantly in flower gary

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm now considering digging out/moving a 'Snow Queen' hibiscus that has disappointed me and planting the Clerodendrum. But I'm afraid it may be all naked stems and no flowers or leaves if a winter frost gets it. I still have to decide if I want to go to the effort.
    Marcia

• diane_v_44
    10 years ago

I was at Lowes in Ft Myers but did not notice Clerodendrum quadriloculare I have seen it in gardens here but does not look to agressive
    Have not grown it myself
    What I did find and bought a couple, more of is th Kaneroo Paw
    it does not look that spectacular in the garden centre at Lowes and have seen it sold in a couple of stores now But had it growing over summer the past two years in Canada. and the bloom is terrific. Blooms until frost. and is a striking plant.
    I put the plants I have up north in a cold room don't know if they will make it over winter or not Up there
    But am going to give them a try in my gardens here.

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Diane, I have seen the kangaroo paws (Anigozanthos) at Lowe's other years but didn't like the high price, so didn't buy them.

My amaryllis are blooming now and I think I need to buy more bulbs. I never have done a thing to them, yet they are spreading and adding a few seedlings every year. I have the common orange variety.

Marcia

• diane_v_44
    10 years ago

Marcia
    I have this in my gardens down here in Florida as well Begining to naturalize just as your are

Have as well been collecting the bulbs given to neigbhurs at Christmas and then they discard'
    Have several in the garden but do not get them to bloom Must be planting them to deep. Once inawhile one blooms but not so often
    Of course they are just in sandy unenriched soil as well Perhaps they need better fertilizer or soil

Anyway that Kangaroo Paw sure can be gorgeous I am hoping it does well in the garden down here. Long lasting very attractive bloom All I say my experience is that the bloom can be much nicer and larger actually then those sold at Lowes

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

I've tried kangaroo paw several times, both in the ground and in pots, and have lost it by mid summer each time. It just doesn't seem to like out wet, humid summers.

• diane_v_44
    10 years ago

thanks for your input re Kangaroo paw

I have now put two in the garden in full sunshine
    But by what you have experienced they may not do well
    Maybe I will take them up and put them in pots that do not get to much rain then might be possibility of not enough sun
    I thank you though for what you wrote

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally decided to keep the clerodendrum and planted it in a bed beside our driveway. The plant was very root bound and I ripped off all the roots on the bottom of the pot and teased out the roots on the sides. It wilts every afternoon but I hope it will soon 'appreciate' its new home and adjust. We'll see!
    Marcia

• Rhonda
    10 years ago

Marcia,
    I too was eticed by these shrubs at Lowes :) Even though I know they're borderline hardy here and will sucker, I'll take my chances. Mine looked wilty for about a week even with frequent watering but have started perking up. I hope they do grow huge and sucker since I bought them to plant along the side of my property to hide my neighbors yard lol

• Rhonda
    10 years ago

"enticed"

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting