Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyhair

A lush, quick growing climbing rose?

daisyhair
11 years ago

OK.. I have a corner of my yard on a wooden privacy fence I would love suggestions for a rose or two that will have the run of that spot.

It is about 20 feet (10 ft. in both directions from the corner).

Here is my problem... it only gets GOOD sun from 1PM until about 6...

My Austins are doing well with late day SHADE so I don't know about an Austin for the hottest part of the day here.. (they are all I have experience with so far) although I do water every day in the Summer.

Any suggestions?

Comments (10)

• morningloree
    11 years ago

Hi,
    You might want to check out Lady Banks Rose. It is quick growing, will grow in Zone 9 and is relatively pest free. The drawbacks are it only blooms once a season. There are 2 colors white and yellow. It will cover trellises, fences, slow moving people, etc.

• shuffles_gw
    11 years ago

While not a climber for me, blush is supposedly a climber. My Blush is upright and covers a five foot radius a good 8 feet tall. That means two should cover your 20 foot area. It blooms incessantly and smells good. I think it is edible. When I had a rabbit it was his favorite food. Here, it is more or less indestructable - sometimes I have had to prune it with a chain saw. On top of that, it roots readily. I have a couple rooted that I don't know what to do with.

Here is a link that might be useful: blush rose

• shuffles_gw
    11 years ago

Here is mine today.

• shuffles_gw
    11 years ago

A close up.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    11 years ago

Hi Shuffles and Daisy
    Would you guys be interested in trading roses?
    I have a couple rooted of this one:

I think it's called Duchess du Brabant. I don't know how much it will cover your fence, though, Daisy. It smells really pretty and blooms throughout the year.

If you would like one, Shuffles, I'd like to get one of your Blush plants.

Maybe we could meet at Sylvia's this spring - ?

Susie

• morningloree
    11 years ago

I was thumbing through a catalogue from Four Season's Nursery and they are advertising a nearly thornless climbing rose that tolerates shade. Hardy from zones 5-9. It is a cultivar of Rosa x Zephirine Drouhin. I might look into this myself, three inch deep pink blooms that bloom in spring and fall. Sounds almost too good to be true.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Zephirine Drouhin is for real. It's not new, by any means--in one of the Hercule Poirot novels by Agatha Christie the villain gets caught because she claims the mark on her arm (actually from a hypodermic needle) was made by a rose on a trellis, but Poirot knows the rose was Zephirine Drouhin and therefore thornless.

I've never seen one in FL, though, so I don't know how they do here. They're gorgeous in England, but then so are lots of roses that don't like our heat so much.

If you find anyone growing this (a new cultivar?) successfully, I'd love to know about it. Please let us know if you try it.

This post was edited by writersblock on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 19:11

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Oh, I should have mentioned that my friends who grow it in England are only moderately happy with the traditional Zephirine. They find it fussier than most old roses, so it would be extra interesting if this new cultivar is more disease resistant.

• shuffles_gw
    11 years ago

susie,

I hope to go to Sylvia's swap. I will put your name on one of the Blush plants. I don't care for anothe rose. Broms are always welcome. I am also looking for a Fuyu persimmon.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    11 years ago

Thanks, Shuff!

I've got some broms, I'll send ya a pic and see if they are to yer likin'.

Susie

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner