Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lipstick plant ?????

Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 5, 12 at 17:05

I just bought a very large vine that the Nursery said was a Lipstick plant...I went on Google to read abt. it and all the pics show a bright red 'lipstick'.... this new plant has dark purple almost black flowers...the right shape but a strange color? is there such a thing as a dark purple lipstick plant? or do I have a different plant mis-identified?? Thanks for any help on this, I don't have a camera or I'd post a pic.... sally

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lipstick plant ?????

lots of different varieties, just bought a whorled leaf one this winter. deep purple flowers. have and orange one, totally different look. nice plant!!!

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSLFl (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 5, 12 at 18:27

I think what you have is lipstick Mona Lisa. Out of the purple flower will come a red one. :o)

o

Is this what you have? The black part can be there for weeks before the red lipstick comes out.

Here is a link that might be useful: picture

o

Black pagoda is also a possibility. I have one and the leaves are very dark green, almost black, and the calyx is also almost black.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.logees.com/images/T5003-2-Small.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.logees.com/Aeschynanthus-radicans-Lipstick-plant/productinfo/T5003-2/&h=300&w=300&sz=43&tbnid=ZYgmgyANc7kRvM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=90&prev=/search%3Fq%3DAeschynanthus%2Bradicans%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=Aeschynanthus+radicans&docid=uzLWtJnZNfnApM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=cu8vT_uHMojbgQfZ94T0Dw&ved=0CEYQ9QEwAg&dur=654

Here is a link that might be useful: Black pagoda

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 6, 12 at 17:00

Thanks folks, I'm still not sure exactly what I do have, the leaves are smooth shiny medium green, the flowers are much smaller than the Logee's pic and are deep purple, no red, they point upward, in small groups at the end of each vine.... no scent... apparently a variety of the 'lipstick'..;. I sure do wish these Nurseries would get more info. from their growers, a proper name would help... but I really like this vine it is gorgeous.. I thought at first it was a Hoya but the bloom form is different.... I appreciate the feedback, thanks again kind people...sally

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 6, 12 at 18:00

I Googled some more and found my plant on a Nursery in So. Fla. web-site, not allowed to name it.... it is Aeschynanthus Radicans "Crispa"....it shows the dark-red purple flowers and also shows the brighter red coming out of the center...like coffeemom said... thanks again... apparently there are many different versions, like Walli pointed out... thanks again!.... one never does know all there is to know abt. the 'Plant World' it is never-ending, isn't it?? such a wonderful journey.... sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here