Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jar (Strawberry type) Keeping dirt in it

Posted by tomkaren z9 Citrus Co FL (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 17:40

Have this Jar that has holes in its sides. Can't seem to keep the dirt from falling out. Any suggestions to help. Thought about using spanish moss in the holes.

Also this will be in full morning sun any suggestions for an easily grown plant to put in it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jar (Strawberry type) Keeping dirt in it

I just potted a sedum in the top and left the sides empty until another day. Same problem! I was going to plant alyssum in the sides. Portulaca would look good too. They do settle down eventually. I've potted several of them in my life, but never with strawberries.
Oregano?

o

Hi
I grow strawberries in mine lol I use palm citrus media along with some long fibered sphag at the openings . have to start at the bottom and pack rather tightly as you go up.
Only use it during winter gary

o

Gary has it.

I got a large one of these for my wife as an anniversary gift a few years ago. I had to pack the soil down around the roots of the plants I put in it as I filled the pot. I would keep the soil moist so that it bound together as I filled the pot. Since then, I have been toying with the idea of covering each hole from the inside with cheap nylon screening material. I could then cut slits in the screen and place my plant and not have to worry about the soil coming back out. Haven't tried this yet though.

o

This worked pretty well for us: Put a plastic garbage bag in the pot first. As you fill it with dirt, just cut slits where the bag shows through the hole. Then place the plants through the slits and continue filling with dirt. Then cut off the extra. (Make sure you poke a hole in the bag for the very bottom drain hole too.)

This year we did one side with strawberry plants and the other side with impatiens. The flowers really look good... A big mass of color. Much better than we expected.

o

Using a plastic bag like that probably also makes a huge difference in retaining water. I have a strawberry jar sitting on the back porch that I haven't used in years because it's hard to keep anything watered in there in the heat - water evaporates through the clay. I may try it again with a plastic bag liner.

o

I think it does help with the water retention. Had that issue too. Using a "dripper" to water the strawberry pots this year (a one gallon plastic milk jug with a small hole poked in it). That seems to be working well at getting it more evenly watered.

o

hi
I use a piece of PVC pipe drilled with small holes in the center . This allows watering from the inside out . On the 10 gallon i use 2 inch pipe with 1/8 holes with endcap at the bottom. gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here