Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

Built my new seed starting rack last weeked

tomncath
13 years ago

Well, it WAS rainy so I had to do something inside....

I started a few years back with this little 2' tabletop setup:

Decided to move up to a 4' tabletop setup this year but Cathy said putting it on top of a 2' door across two sawhorses swallowed the whole middle of the room and "it's gotta go"! :-(

So, the NEW tabletop setup went to Sally and I put together a setup on wheels that can be out of the way in front of a closet and moved when we need to get into the closet :-)

I know what to do with veggies, now what I need from you folks is to learn what flower seeds I should start inside for the various seasons and when to move them outside. I'm tired of seeing the same old flowers and want to grow some unique things in my yard...here's my new setup.

Tom

Comments (23)

• gardengimp
    13 years ago

OMG - that is awesome! And I love the gizmoid for adjusting the lamps.

~dianne

• bamboo_rabbit
    13 years ago

Tom,

You are getting all fancy on us:)

• ladywingr
    13 years ago

Excellent work. You're very creative!

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

It looks so neat and elegant, apart from fluorescent tubes has anyone used the LEDs?

• tinael01
    13 years ago

man o man am I jealous.

• loufloralcityz9
    13 years ago

Izhar,
    I have used the LEDs (mixture of red & blue LEDs on 2'X2' panels)
    It makes all the plants coloring look very strangely purple, like a science fiction scene.
    It seems to work well, but I cannot get used to the odd colors.
    Perhaps if I also used one length of fluorescent I could switch on to check on the plants progress.
    I expect a UFO to land any moment. Very eerie indeed!
    Beware the trifids ;o)

Lou

• whgille
    13 years ago

Tom, that is a really nice, useful and creative set up! I hope that you fill with wonderful flowers soon.

Silvia

• CaptTurbo
    13 years ago

I think it would be a shame to hide that beautiful contraption in a closet. I'm sure it will be especially attractive when you have the plants going.

I keep several fish tanks in the house. I like the soft light and calming effect they create. I'm thinking your plants growing under the lights would be at least as nice.

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

Very impressive. I've got to do something about lighting in my house for my seeds.

• saldut
    13 years ago

THANKS again TOM - My head is filled with all kinds of ideas abt. what to do with this set-up, all the wonderful seeds I can start... I did drag out some packets of Snapdragons also Dill also Parsley also Catnip, for the kitties... and some other seeds that were hiding in the utility-room... and planted them and they are lined up under that magical-light !! and those 'mater seeds are looking fantastic, nice and sturdy.... don't know why I waited and procrastinated abt. getting a gro-light and now I am in seed-starting heaven!! Your set-up is the ultimate - the Cadillac of seed-starters!! THANKS AGAIN, sally

• SaintPFLA
    13 years ago

Wow! VERY impressive, indeed!

Geez, and to think I have a plastic tupperware lid taped to the top of a windowsill so it doesn't it fall off with a few seedlings on it (catnip for the kitties)!

For flowers, this is a great time to start Zinnias, Marigolds, Sunflowers (maybe the squirrels will leave the tomotoes alone!) and herbs.

Btw, I still have that Flamevine if you are interested. It would look great in that spot in your front yard on a trellis.

Here's a link to what it would look like. I have it in a container so it has not gotten crazy and out of control, which is also why it's only bloomed 'once'.

http://okeechobee.ifas.ufl.edu/News%20columns/Flame%20Vines.htm

• tomncath
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. So, what flower seeds do I start now indoors? You name it and I probably have it, I went crazy last year buying seeds to get into flowers...even things like nemesia. I know things like marigolds, cosmos and zinnias can be started outside, but what should be started inside and when? Salvias? Sarena? Nemesia? Celosia? Snapdragons? Cleome? Lobelia? Alyssum? Verbena?

Sally, are you ready to pot up those maters tomorrow?

SPF, I'll take you up on that Flamevine offer. Would you like to meet at Sally's tomorrow?

Tom

• SaintPFLA
    13 years ago

Tom: tomorrow sounds fine. I just need time to remove it from the pot. It's probably a little root bound.

Snapdragons enjoy the cold, so I'd just scatter the seeds and watch them pop up. They are blooming now, but you can probably get another round.

I'd try the salvia indoors, alyssum, verbena, margarita daisies, vinca - pretty much anything.

Let me know about tomorrow!

• jpagliai
    13 years ago

Tom, Love the setup! I see metal shelves at almost every yard sale I go to. Now I know what to do with them :) How many plants do you think will fit? I started 19 different types of vegetables 3 days ago. Have always had good luck just sticking them out on my enclosed patio (only natural light)but with this weather...I don't know if they will survive. A trip to get lights will be on my husbands to do list tomorrow :) Thanks for posting the pictures. Jen

• jpagliai
    13 years ago

Forgot to ask, what type of flowers are you looking for? Annuals, Perennials, etc... Shade, Full Sun, etc... I've got a great book called Best Garden Color for Florida maybe it can point in the right direction.

• loufloralcityz9
    13 years ago

Tom,
    The Manalucie seeds you had asked me for just came in today's mail.
    I think the mail was delayed by the southern snowstorms.
    I will try to get them in the mail for you on Monday as I need to pick up a mailer package.

Lou

• amberroses
    13 years ago

I start most flowers outside. I either sprinkle them in a pot or scatter them in the yard if they are tougher. I did start the hibiscus inside. With your nice set up you may have better luck than I did starting them inside.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

Very nice. What are the syringes for?
    I have 2 black shelves that look similar to yours that I am starting a bunch of seeds on. You have nicer lights though, mine are just the cheapo shop lights from walmart :P I have heat mats under some of the stuff like the cacao beans.

• tomncath
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now I know what to do with them :) How many plants do you think will fit?

Depends on how big they get. My problem was that tomato seedlings that should have been outside a month ago we inside growing to 10" because of the unusual cold weather we were having...I've never keep them in this long and they were getting so big that I ran out of room with one 4' light, and Cathy was not happy with the setup in the middle of the room.

Forgot to ask, what type of flowers are you looking for?

I have no idea, I'm open to suggestions...I'll pick up a copy of the book for some pointers. Thanks!

The Manalucie seeds you had asked me for just came in...

Thanks Lou. Do you like okra? I do but Cathy's not wild about it so I stopped growing it. Look at my response in this post and tell me if you'd like some seed for dwarf okra plants.

I start most flowers outside.

Looks like that's mostly the case Amber, I was hoping to be able to enjoy some inside just watching them get started before moving them outside....

Very nice. What are the syringes for?

Drawing put liquid nutrients to put in the water....

...You have nicer lights though....

I was going to by the cheap T-8s but when I was how wide the spacing of the bulds were on these, and the silver reflectors above the bulbs I couldn't resist. They were not cheap though, $40 a pop!

Tom

• SusieQsie_Fla
    13 years ago

Hi Tom
    I haven't forgotten that you so kindly helped me after TS Fay ruined my poor garden and you sent me TONS of seeds.

Now I'd like to help you with some seeds, if you'd like some.

Here's what I have:
    Crossandra
    Asclepias
    Gaillardia
    Blackberry Lily
    Echinacea
    AppleBlossom Amaryllas
    Salvia coccinea Red
    Gypsophilia
    Mexican Hat
    Petunias

I also have some seeds from my hybrid hibiscus crosses that might turn out amazing AND some ornamental grass seeds.

Let me know if ya want me to send any of these and I'll be happy to box 'em up.

Susie

• tomncath
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the offer Susie, that's very kind of you but I think if I collect any more seeds Cathy is going to make me live in the garage :-) :-(

Tom

• loufloralcityz9
    13 years ago

Tom,
    I still have not mailed out those seeds yet because I was busy mending the chicken pen wire. Wild boar hogs dug under the chain link and then tore up the chicken wire on the cage run Sunday night. They came back again last night but I found and sealed up the hole under the chain link with concrete and dirt.
    They were after the metal chicken feeder, they tore that all up and ate the chickens grain. I finally got done mending the chicken run today and doncha know the UPS truck delivered, just at sundown, a box of orchard trees I had ordered from California. I will check on those trees in the morning light and see if they can wait to be planted later.

It's always something messing up the plans,
    Lou

• tomncath
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No big deal Lou, there's always next year. My place is so small I always have big plans for plants, then have to postpone half of them until another season :-) :-(

Tom

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths