Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valray_gw

ID of plant in Florida

valray
10 years ago

I wish I was in Florida right now. :( But my brother sent me this pic to ID. Someone suggested Rose Glory Bower but it doesn't look exactly right. Any other ideas?

Comments (15)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

clerodendrum shooting star

EDIT They're particularly nice right now. This is a good year for them.

This post was edited by writersblock on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 18:24

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

It was me. :) I sugguested Clerodendrum bungei, as well as some of the common names. Below is a link to my response to the crosspost in the Tropicals Forum. Would be interested to hear what anyone else thinks. Am I wrong?

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: ID of plant in Florida

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

I think it's quadriloculare, not bungei, but yes, clerodendrum for sure.

Link to Lee County extension PDF:

Here is a link that might be useful: Starburst clerodendrum

This post was edited by writersblock on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 18:28

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

floridagardener:
    A patented variety released by Morningstar Nursery called Dwarf Purple leaf 'Morningstar' grows to only about 6 feet. The leaves are smaller and ruffled, but produce more flower heads per plant. It is less aggressive and can be maintained as a pruned shrub or hedge without detracting from its performance
    so is it invasive or not?
    it surely looks good, but not robust at all, where i've seen it.

10 years ago

Below is a link to the info on Quadriloculare referenced by Petrushka. It is interesting to note that this website also says the following about Quadriloculare (unless you have the Morningstar variety, perhaps):

'Bad Habits: Invasive by suckering, severe pruning will bring on an outburst of suckers and shoots. Suggest keeping potted to prevent invasion. Clerodendrum (Clerodendron) Quadriloculare will spread -- be sure you are ready for the consequences if you plant it in the ground.'

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Clerodendrum (Clerodendron) Quadriloculare

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    I know that as C quadriculare "Fireworks tree "there may be subspecies hybrids ?? Certainly find the above to be true lol Mine are over 20 feet and sucker like crazy I also find it semi deciduous unless temps stay above 40. Always flowers in feb . Particularly glorious this year due to the warmer winter. Would make a fantastic potted standard
    as you can prune it any way you like as a yard tree it kind of sucks lol Have mounds of flowers all over my newly laid stone paths lol A dwarf variety would be great!!! gary

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    10 years ago

Sadly, Morningstar Nursery is long out of business. Their dwarf variety of Clerodendrum quadriloculare turned out to be a group of undernourished plants that eventually grew into full size plants. This particular species of Clerodendrum is highly invasive, traveling by underground runners that will quickly spread the plant around your garden.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

> Their dwarf variety of Clerodendrum quadriloculare turned out to be a group of undernourished plants that eventually grew into full size plants

Thanks for that, fawnridge. I'd been wondering about that, since the ones I've seen that met their leaf description have been some of the largest around here (and the quickest to drop all leaves in a cold snap). And yeah, they all sure do sucker like crazy. I think it's gorgeous in bloom, but don't have any here because of that.

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

I think C. quadriculare can vary on the suckering habit. I have seen some that are agressive and sucker as heavily as C. bungei or C. indicum. But I have seen some with no are only a few suckers. We have one at Leu Gardens that has only grown to about 7ft and has only grown a few suckers in 10 years. I have seen others in SoFL with that are "behaved".

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

There is also a nice variegated cultivar called 'Brandonii'.

10 years ago

Thanks, Eric. That is good to know. Is there any way to definitively ID the "good" ones? I know not to rely on plant tags, LOL!

Carol

• User
    10 years ago

Nice addition to any semi-large garden. No suckering here and they are from Morningstar Nursery. Miss that nursery , use to do the ordering in the HD nursery from them. Their plants always made the nursery really interesting to shop.

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

I am not sure. It may be just individual genetics. Probably the best way is to get a cutting from a non-suckering individual.

• yacheryl
    10 years ago

Eric, I've grown 2nd Clerodendrum quadriloculare 'Brandonii' - the varigated leaf and
    1(plus!!) of the regular green leafed.
    The green leafed suckered like crazy!
    Both neighbors are enjoying theirs though.

I lost 1 varigated to cold.
    The other one is only about about 8 foot tall.
    Georgous leaves to look at all year long.
    Neither varigated ones suckered.
    I wish they had...........cheryl

Here is a link that might be useful:

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

sev plants that i've seen in miami brickell area (south miami ave specifically and also in coral gables area) were all rather weak and kind of barely alive. honest! not in clusters or anything, just straglers. that's why i was so taken by surprise that it is invasive.
    what occured to me that in miami and south of it (basically dade county?) soils are limestone, while the other areas in fl are mostly sand.
    may be that's what makes it invasive, sandy soils?
    may be it has much harder time on limestone/coral rock?