Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Floridas spring time cool enough for tomato blossoms?

Posted by Ecopal none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 23, 12 at 18:39

Hey Everybody
Is it too late to buy a Pink Brandywine starter plant? And by that I mean with winter coming to an end temperatures are going to be too high and humid for tomato blossoms. My Cherokee Purple has a big tomato on it as well as many blossoms surrounding it. In Florida it seems that winter is the only time tomato blossoms can set fruit. At least that�s what I have learned. And today it was almost 90 degrees. My Cherokee Purple looked wilted for a while! What do you guys think? PS Im not interested in growing varieties like heat wave or anything.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Floridas spring time cool enough for tomato blossoms?

I guess it depends on where in Florida you live. Florida is divided into 3 regions. North, Central and South. I live just above North Florida. It was 84 here today. 15 degrees above average. Our last frost date is March 31. Most poeple plant way before then. Find out from your local agricultural center what tomatoes do best in your area and when to plant them.

o

Ecopal, if you want advice you need to tell us where you live. Then you can get some good advice from folks who live in your region.

o

Sorry about that. I live in south Florida at Hialeah. And after another very hot day one of my blossoms fell. I moved it to a less sunny location and hopefully that will help.

o

Sounds like you are growing in a pot? Make sure you keep the pot cool and if your night temperatures drop to below 75, the plants will still set fruit.

I live about 45 miles north of Palm Beach and I was picking brandywines until the end of June last year.

o

• Posted by peggy_g Melbourne,Fl Z9 (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 18:12

This guide is from the Univ. of Fl. EXCELLENT!!! Page down and you'll fing planting dates for North, Central, and South Fl. I have this link saved to my favorites list as it is full of information for Fl. vegetable growers. Hope this helps:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vh021

Here is a link that might be useful: Fl. Vegetable Gardening Guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here