Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monsanto owns 40% of seed companies we buy from??!!

Posted by tinael01 10A (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 18:45

Has anyone else seen this article?! Harris seed and Tomato Growers Supply are on the list.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/the-four-steps-required-to-keep-monsanto-out-of-your-garden/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monsanto owns 40% of seed companies we buy from??!!

Hi Tina -
It's good to see you're back....I've been missing you!

Thanks for posting this site. I had not seen this before, and it is valuable to know.

And heres' something else - a PDF file of a non-GMO Shopping Guide.

http://mercola.fileburst.com/PDF/GMObrochure.pdf

And so more info on that subject:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/10/04/healthy-foods-you-should-never-ever-eat.aspx

o

Hi Susie! Yes.....life is very busy these days! But I am still gardening, just lurking a little less. I hope your garden is green....

Tina

o

So I didn't see Ferry Morse or Burpee on the Monsanto list. Do you think they are ok?

o

Susie, thank you, thank you for posting that shopping list for non-GMO products! My husband has had 3 different types of Agent Orange related cancers and I try very hard to make good food decisions for us. That list really helps!

o

You're very welcome, Lily!

This post was edited by susieqsie on Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 17:17

o

Sorry to hear about your husband's health.

Susie

This post was edited by susieqsie on Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 17:18

o

Yes, I recently read about the Monsanto Monster. (my name for them) It made me ill to think we have been unable to stop their "progress". Would it even slow them down if the public very publicly boycotted any product that even hinted that Monsanto was connected to it?

o

The only way to know for sure that your seeds are not GMO Is to save them yourself Or buy from organic sanctuary in Geneva Florida Where the seed are grown on his farm right there

o

I've spent quite a bit of time researching this, but the game does constantly change. AFAIK, unless you are growing cotton, soy, corn, or wheat, there probably aren't any GMO seeds of your plants. They wouldn't be sold anonymously because you would have to sign contracts to use them.

However, I'm not interested in patronizing Monsanto in any way, and would absolutely make sure any company I would consider patronizing isn't a subsidiary of theirs. There is nothing I know about this company or their goals that I want to support.

However - the next layer. Monsanto is a business and their purpose is to make a profit. If public pressure causes their current ventures to fail to meet their financial projections, they will focus their efforts elsewhere. Hopefully they will direct their vast resources and efforts toward more healthy and sustainable concepts.

It is within anyone's powers to let Monsanto and your legislators know how you feel. They're not mind readers. Public pressure can be effective when employed. The examples of changes made because of this pressure are too long to list here. So don't just complain if you're unhappy about this. Do something to let your sentiments be known to the proper channels.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here