Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcia_m

Dombeya 'Seminole'

marcia_m
14 years ago

I foolishly bought this plant without checking the zone requirements. I think it likes warmer weather than we have here (normally). Can anyone comment? Thanks!

Marcia PA/FL

Comments (9)

• scents_from_heaven
    14 years ago

Dombeya 'Seminole' would not do well in any climate where the temperatures get below the low 20's, It is a beutiful plant though. Linda

• annafl
    14 years ago

Hi Marcia!

I am in Sarasota near the coast, so borderline 9b/10a. I have had this plant for over 3 years and absolutely love it. It blooms for several months starting November. It is one of the few plants in my yard that got only a little damage from the cold this year, and none other years. We got down to 28 twice, 30-32 quite a number of days, and well, you know how long it's been yucky. I think you are a little south of me and maybe east? Your climate must be similar? How cold did you get this winter? Remember this winter is abnormal as far as our winters go.

I think in all likelihood, this is going to be a plant you love. It becomes a very large bush (at least 6-7 feet and even wider), and gets a pretty, roundish, full shape. Foliage is nice looking, and the flower clusters are many and sooo pretty. Bees adore it. Mine gets a severe pruning once a year and grows to that size again. It really needs close to full sun to do really well. This plant is definitely worthwhile and is a great thing to have in the winter when other things don't look their best. I think your choice (and taste) was excellent!

Anna

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Linda and Anna. I had read about the shrub in one of the gardening books I borrowed from the library and the article raved about it. Anna, I think we get a little colder here than you do at the coast. I think it got down to 26 here this winter. Linda, I'm afraid you are right, but I sure hope that next winter is more 'normal' than this one! Anyway, there's no taking this one back so I'll try to do my best with it and find a sunny, protected spot.
    Marcia

• annafl
    14 years ago

Marcia, I think it is likely to be fine. Mine dropped only a few leaves and had a little brown at the very top. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. This is a plant that's definitely underused in our area, but requires a lot of space.

Anna

• yacheryl
    14 years ago

We can grow the D. Seminole in St. Petersburg.

They look like a bouquet of roses.
    I wish they had the fragrance
    that the other dombeyas are noted for.
    This was mine back in 2003.
    I don't have mine anymore, but it was a great plant!.......cheryl

{{gwi:807008}}

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Anna. I'll hope for the best. Thanks for the photo, Cheryl. I wish they had fragrance, too, but I'm planting some other plants for that. Why don't you have your plant anymore?
    Marcia

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

I am growing that one and it does well. I also have the pink one with the flowers that hangs down as a 10 foot tree. It has a trunk the size of your thigh. I am also training the white one to be a tree. The bees are crazy for them. I love anything the bees love.

• yacheryl
    14 years ago

Marcia, My yard is so small,
    that plants come and go here all the time.
    When I bought it, the tag said 3' x 3'.
    It grew bigger than that the first year.
    Hence the problem.
    Where I had planted it was next to
    a walkway and it got big.
    - kinda what Anna said.
    I only grow the white one now.
    it takes up the majoriety of the side of the house......cheryl

This is D. wallichii with my mom standing underneath.
    {{gwi:807010}}

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

The wallichii is the one I have trained as a tree. It is so pretty since it's blooms hang down and I can still plant under it. Like I said before it's trunk is the size of my thigh. I am training the white one to be a tree too.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations