Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
some interesting plants

Posted by pnbrown z6.5 MA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 19:21

that I got from a place in ocala, called Eldon's tropicals. The owner is super nice and seems very knowledgable about unusual plants.

I'm most excited about some cold-hardy pineapple (down to 25deg!), decorative as well with red foliage. Some other very tough ornamentals: something called the banana plant with yellowish flowers, something called broken necklace which is apparently a native, a non-invasive wysteria, and some unusually-colored elephant ears, and Abyssinian banana.

All supposed to be care-free and drought-proof once established. We'll see!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: some interesting plants

Your banana sounds like Chinese yellow banana, botanically named Musella lasiocarpa.

The Chinese Yellow banana is a desirable ornamental grown for its huge waxy, yellow flowers. The flowers develop on erect upright stems and can last up to 6 months.

The globe-like flowers resemble large golden lotus. The overall height of this hardy plant is 5' - 6'. It produces an abundance of typical banana leaves which evolve from a short stalk.

It presents a very tropical appearance and may also be grown indoors if you provide sufficient light and warmth. Its outdoor cultivation is the same as the Musa Basjoo banana.

If you would like to post pictures of your plants, we can most likely identify them for you - caring for a plant in the correct way is of utmost importance to being grown successfully!

o

Sound like a place I need to visit. I would guess your yellow flowering plant is a Michelia figo or Banana Shrub. It has a very nice fragrance but is not terribly strong.

Darren

o

I have ordered from them online, will have to check them out soon. I also just came across an interesting plant, ordered some plants and a bonus Hebe speciousa tricolor was included. Had never heard of it, but it originated in New Zealand, has beautiful foliage and gets magenta racememe like flowers. I have the Lotus Banana, but mine seems stuck in a perpetual state of stagnation. I hope yours behaves better.

o

I got them all in today.

I'll take some photos to post tomorrow. The so-called banana of abyssinia thing has got sort of reddish-green leaves. I read the botanical name this morning and can't remember it now. She said don't let it get afternoon sun so I have it on an east wall. Supposedly it forms a large trunk that stores water.

If the pineapples make fruit ya'll will hear me whooping next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here