Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Hot Pink Poinsettias for Valentine's Day

Have you see the bright/hot pink poinsettias recently in stores for Valentine's day? When out of the corner of my eye I first saw a rack at Lowes, I thought, "those must be really marked down left over from Christmas". Then when I got closer, I saw that they were all bright pink for Valentine's Day. I love them! I have seen them at both Lowes and Wal-Mart. My whole yard is done in pink flowers - I'm hoping to pick up some leftovers once the holiday has passed.

I've linked a photo from the Costas Farms website below.

Carol M. in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Euphorbia hybrid 'Pick Me Pink'

Comments (39)

• coffeemom
    12 years ago

I saw these today at WalMart! I did a double take and like you thought they were left over from Christmas. Then I wondered if they were dyed like the blue orchids but evidently not. The color is amazing but I doubt if they'll catch on for valentines...in which case we can raid the clearance rack.

• zzackey
    12 years ago

I saw them at the University of Florida's Poinsettia Show and sale in December. They are drop dead gorgeous. I don't think they will be a real hit either. Seems weird to buy a point this time of year. They are very weak stemmed. They had alot of them break off at the sale. I sure do love the lipstick color though!

• katkin_gw
    12 years ago

Haven't seen them yet, but I am going to the PSL Botanical Garden's plant sale today, so maybe they'll be there.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

I did the same thing! Thought they were leftovers from Christmas,lol...

I took these pictures a few days ago while at Lowe's. I'm also waiting to see "if" they're marked down the day after Valentine's Day.

{{gwi:75122}}{{gwi:75124}}

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great photo, Puglvr! Valentine's Day is on Tuesday... so I'm hoping by Thursday/Friday, the price will drop.

Did you notice the care instructions on the Costas website? Unlike most poinsettias which take full sun, it sounds like these need shade: "For best results, place your Euphorbia hybrid 'Pick Me Pink' in indirect sunlight for at least six hours per day. If direct sun can't be avoided, diffuse the light with a shade or sheer curtain." Huh. Interesting. These could be a trial and error plant.

Carol M. in Jacksonville

• marcia_m
    12 years ago

They caught my eye, too. Very pretty, bright color. I thought they were artificial until I touched one :)
    Marcia

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks Carol! It sounds like the care might be closer to growing Hoyas...bright indirect light.

Marcia, it did look a little artificial didn't it?

Wonder if you have to do the darkening process next year to get them to turn pink?

• coffeemom
    12 years ago

I agree w/zackey, they were leggy and weak stemmed. They would be beautiful in an arrangement with Diamond frost. But not for $15.
    Did you notice they were calling them euphorbia rather than pointsettia?

• tomncath
    12 years ago

They look really cool, but not for $15. I hope they come down to $5 later next week, if so I have great place to try a few.

Tom

• zzackey
    12 years ago

I didn't think it would be a hot seller when I saw them at the show and I still don't. I can't imagine many people shelling out $15.00 for one of them at Valentine's. I sure would have them if I had any room left! They are definitely a room brightener!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    12 years ago

I also saw those at walmart but I also saw Red Lady Papayas in gallon sized containers for 5.50 so got some of those instead LOL! They really need to be potted up because they are a decent size! I also got Ice Cream Banana and Raja Puri Banana for 7.50 each. Then are at least 2 ft high and look so healthy so I thought they were a great deal :)

• starryrider
    12 years ago

I saw them at the Lowes in Kingsland Ga for $7 on Thursday and Fernandina today for $9.97.

• morningloree
    12 years ago

Wow those are beautiful. Have to go to Walmart to check them out!

• ninecrow
    12 years ago

Tomcath ...
    If You do Buy, Please Let us Know how They Do in a Garden Setting....
    Thanks

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Will do NC, but the place I'm thinking of putting them is in a container inside my pool cage because it's shady with filtered sun for about 6 hours each day. I don't think I have a shady enough spot in the front anymore since I had my oak trees trimmed....

Tom

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Anybody been by yet to see if the prices are down?

• ariel73
    12 years ago

I went to 2 different Lowes today and they were not marked down

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

My Lowe's dropped them 50% off today, so they are now $7.50...they still had a lot of them so I'm waiting to see if they will go down a little more since I really don't need any more plants,lol...but if its really cheap I might get one to try?

Original Author
    12 years ago

Went to first Walmart (Beach and Hodges) where they still have about eight plants remaining. They are all swimming in water - plastic sleeves are full to the top - and plants look very bedraggled. Price on sign said $12.88. Took one to the register for a price-check - it is marked down to $12.50. Woo-hoo, a big $0.38 discount. No thanks.

Went to Lowes (Atlantic and Hodges). Couldn't find a single one of these plants anywhere. Finally asked a clerk who said that Lowes decided that the entire rack didn't meet Lowes standards and so they threw the entire rack into the dumpster yesterday. This is a little unusual for Lowes where they always have a Clearance rack. In fact, I specifically patronize Lowes rather than Home Depot because they always have a Clearance rack. But in this case, the clerk told me that they got a credit from the vendor since they were determined to be inferior, so the whole rack had to go into the dumpster. So at this point, I'm still empty-handed.

So I go to another Walmart (Atlantic and Kernan). They have about six of them left. Many of the leaves had fallen, there was a layer of mold across the top of the fallen leaves and sign said $9.44. But a price check at the register says these were marked down to $4.50. The stems looked very healthy and revivable (is that word?) if given some TLC. So I came home with one (and only one).

Cleaned it up, took it out of all of that plastic sleeving (two of them) so air could get to soil, got rid of the thick layer of moldy leaves, gave it a fresh drink of water and put it in a shady spot. I'm hoping it is happy here! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Carol M. in Jacksonville

Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are some photos of the sad little thing:

-Carol

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    12 years ago

If I see some of these marked way down maybe I will get one. They are an interesting color. I think I saw some at the Lowes out by the Airport in Jax that was before Valentines. I will have to go back out there and check again. They also had some nice Valencia Pride Mangos that were blooming.

• marcia_m
    12 years ago

They totally disappeared at our Lowe's, none in the reduced racks. There were plenty of them before Valentine's Day so I don't know what they did with them.
    Marcia

• KathyInJax
    12 years ago

Love the yard, you must live very close to me. I was just at the Lowes on Atlantic & Hodges area today & they were marking down plants like crazy because they froze. And the clerk said the same thing you just said, they threw out two carts full of those poinsettas.

Original Author
    12 years ago

I found an interesting comment in a blog about this plant. See the second comment at this link: The Garden Plot: Valentine's Gift Idea. Sure enough, the tag on my plant says, "Bred by Ecke Ranch". Link to Lloyd Traven's website, below.

Puglvr, did you ever get one? I saw your post in the Houseplants forum and learned even more about these plants! House Plants Forum: Check out this new plant at Lowe's...

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Peace Tree Farm - Lloyd Traven

Original Author
    12 years ago

Because I have become obsessed. {{gwi:387657}}
    See link below.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Luv U Pink Poinsettia The Hit At Mitchell's Open House

Original Author
    12 years ago

2012 Ecke Ranch spring trials video - link below.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: YouTube video: Ecke's Luv U Pink Euphorbia

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Kathy! Welcome to the forum! It is nice to have a Jacksonville newcomer on board. (We are a little in the minority.) Didn't you hate that news from Lowes? I couldn't believe it. I am such a Lowes fan, though, and their wonderful clearance rack.

Carol

• amberroses
    12 years ago

Run people! Lowes on Park Blvd in Pinellas had lots of these for $2 this morning. They were in good condition too. I picked up one myself.

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Dang! I want one but hate going into the traffic jungle of central Pinellas, both big boxes on 22nd laughed at me this past weekend when I bothered to ask.... :-(

Tom

Original Author
    12 years ago

Tom, you have email from me.

Carol

Original Author
    12 years ago

Rescue plants are recovering nicely. Nice surprise for me! They are covered with new leaves.

Carol

• tomncath
    12 years ago

I'm so glad they are doing well Carol, please keep us posted.

Tom

Original Author
    12 years ago

I put them in the ground yesterday in a nice shady location. They will almost certainly get knocked back next winter by the first frost or freeze, but I hope to get some bright pink color out of them before they do. Then it will be interesting to see if they come back, if at all, or even bigger and stronger in following years as the roots get established.

Carol in Jax

Original Author
    10 years ago

Just a quick update: I planted six of them in Spring 2012. Not a single one survives today. Some were taken out in winter but it looked to me that the survivors actually suffered more in the summer heat and humidity. Strange for euphorbias. I don't have a single one left.

Carol

• coffeemom
    10 years ago

I've seen them for sale this month for breast cancer awareness. They are pretty but can't seem to find their focus group. I'm sorry they didn't work out,Carol.

Original Author
    10 years ago

You know what, I didn't see any for 2013 Valentine's Day. I wonder if they were generally a no-go? Coffee, that is interesting that they have them out now. For sure, *I* was in their focus group, had they survived! I loved them. Anything that is big and pink gets my attention. Too bad they didn't make it, even with lots of good care.

Carol

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, just like Coffeemom said, there they were in Walmart yesterday, displayed on a big round table in the produce/bakery department. Sadly, every single plant looked stressed. This time they were labeled "Luv U Pink".

Too bad I can't make them happy - I still love that shocking pink color.

Carol

• amberroses
    10 years ago

I have one left. I planted maybe 3 or 4. I think it may make it, but it isn't exactly thriving like the normal red one I planted around the same time.

• SweetMonkeyCheese Z9 Tampa
    8 years ago

Ohhh, I will dream that since it has been a few years the growers were able to breed a hardier yet still bright pink plant. Now I want one too!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus