Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yardvaark

Great Landscape Trees of Central Florida

Yardvaark
12 years ago

I am interested in finding out what people think are really great landscape trees that can be used in central Florida. by "landscape," I'm not looking for trees that are thought to be touchy or difficult, but can be successfully grown by most anyone. As well, they should offer good looks most of the time and a feature of some sort, some of the time. As I drive through subdivisions, it seems that there is an endless supply of Live Oak... like that's all anyone knows. What other trees excite people? Could be flowering or shade. Please say a little of what's good about the tree and also, what problems it might have. Thanks in advance for your input. I heard from one source that 'October Glory' red maple has a tendency to develop cracks. Does anyone know if this is true?

I'll start the list by adding Tabebuia, both pink and yellow. They're so beautiful in bloom! (Anyone know if they have issues?)

Comments (7)

• akaj9
    12 years ago

I think Live Oaks are everywhere mainly because they are probably already growing before development and not always planted.....The Oak hammock is an ecosystem of Florida so it would be common to see communities built around them..especially nice upscale communities....I live in a pine forest myself...and enjoy the slash pines with the needles I use for all my pathways. I also grow native Wax myrtles...which attract birds year round with there berries, I also use branches with leaves and berries as a treat for my Parakeet/cockatiel Aviary...and if your really lucky you get a visit from the migrating swallows...ck out my blog for my pictures AWESOME....I also love my maples and my sycamore...both handle the wet soil that can happen here....I LOVE raintrees....but alas...they are an invasive and we aren't suppose to plant them......they are beautiful though....I love planting trees for wildlife...so I too have at least 20 diiferent oaks myself....the squirrels love them...and that keeps my jacks very entertained LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog...see what the wax myrtles bring in!

• eric_9b
    12 years ago

What part of central Florida ???

Southern live oaks are great trees but vastly overused and too often are planted in a wrong location.

Some that are easy to grow;

Acacia farnesiana (smallii)- Sweet Acacia
    Acer saccharum ssp. floridanum (barbatum)- Southern Sugar Maple
    Araucaria bidwillii- Bunya Bunya
    Bauhinia x blakeana- Hong Kong Orchid Tree
    Bauhinia forficata- Thorny Orchid Tree
    Cassia leptophylla- Gold Medallion Tree
    Ceiba speciosa (Chorisia)- Floss Silk Tree
    Cordia boiseri- Wild Olive
    Cupressus arizonica var. glabra- Arizona Cypress
    Elaeocarpus decipiens- Blueberry Tree
    Erythrina crista-galli- Coral Tree
    Eucalyptus polyanthemos- Silver Gum
    Ilex cassine- Dahoon Holly
    Jacaranda mimosifolia- Jacaranda
    Juniperus silicicola- Southern Red Cedar
    Lagerstroemia fauriei- Japanese Crepe Myrtle
    Magnolia virginiana var. australis- Sweetbay
    Melaleuca alternifolia- Tea Oil Tree
    Nageia nagi (Podocarpus)- Nagi Tree
    Neolitsea sericea- Japanese Silver Tree
    Olea europea- Olive Tree
    Peltophorum dubium- Yellow Poinciana
    Pinus elliotti- Slash Pine
    Pinus palustris- Longleaf Pine
    Pinus serotina- Pond Pine
    Pistacia chinensis- Chinese Pistache
    Podocarpus elongatus- African Yellowwood
    Quercus durandii- Durand Oak
    Quercus geminata- Sand Live Oak
    Quercus myrtifolia- Myrtle Oak
    Tabebuia chrysotricha- Golden Trumpet Tree
    Tabebuia heptaphylla- Purple Trumpet Tree
    Tabebuia impetiginosa- Pink Trumpet Tree
    Tabebuia umbellata- Yellow Trumpet Tree
    Taxodium ascendens- Pond Cypress
    Tipuana tipu- Tipu Tree
    Ulmus alata- Winged Elm
    Ulmus parvifolia 'Allee'- Lacebark Elm

• akaj9
    12 years ago

Oh and the most beautiful majestic...but soooo slow growing..Magnolias. But I always take note of a great one!

• amberroses
    12 years ago

I like river birches.

• shuffles_gw
    12 years ago

I like Drake elms. I don't have any in my yard but I like to see them in the neighborhood. Not too big for a small lot and not dense shade. An attractive, trouble free tree that is non-invasive. Chinese Elm - Ulmus parvifolia

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

There is a drake elm across the street from my house; it's beautiful and one of the most distinctive trees in the area.

My favorite is the Tipu tree - Tipuana tipu. I learned about it on this forum in 2003, planted one after the 2004 hurricanes and it has thrived. Once a year it's covered (seriously COVERED) by yellow blossoms.

• FartusJenkins
    11 years ago

Yellow (Tulip) Poplars are beautiful, majestic trees if you have the space to grow them. They remind me most of Sycamores, which I also like. If you are looking for an alternative oak, try Shumard Oak or Nuttall Oak. I also like Red Maple, Indian Hawthorn, Drake Elm, Dogwoods, American Beech and Southern Magnolias.