Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Camellias - Can You Recommend a Good Nursery in Florida?

I am looking for a good nursery from which to get camellias in Florida or Georgia. I would appreciate any recommendations. I thought there were some in central Florida or the Gainesville area, but not having any luck with an internet search. Thanks in advance for help!

Comments (16)

• fagopher
    13 years ago

Try Lukas Nursery (more variety, more pricey)
    or South Seminole Farm & Nursery in Orlando area.

not sure if they ship though...

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

fagopher, thanks! I am looking for nurseries that I can visit in person and select my camellias, so no shipping wanted or needed. Thanks very much for your help!

• imagardener2
    13 years ago

I got a great camellia last year (at a big box store) called "Stephanie Golden", medium pink with yellow stamens but the best thing is it's FRAGRANT. I didn't know camellias came that way. Highly recommend it.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Sounds beautiful! But I have been to all of the big box stores and they just don't have the varieties I am looking for. Sometimes you get lucky, but I didn't this year. That's why I'm looking for camellia nurseries in Florida or Georgia that I can drive to. (I don't want to mail order as I want to see, in person, what I am buying.)

Original Author
    13 years ago

Fagopher, South Seminole Farm & Nursery was a good recommendation - they have over 125 varieties. Just what I was looking for! (The only thing that would be better is a nursery closer to Jacksonville. But I'm not complaining - this is just what I wanted!)

Anyone interested, see link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: South Seminole Farm & Nursery - Camellias

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    13 years ago

Bob Wines Camellia Gardens in Ocala might be exactly what you're looking for (if the location works). They not only sell camellias, but the in ground camellia display is lovely (and labelled with names).

The camellias are planted in an understory of very tall pines. I don't know the history of the place, but the size of the pines and of the in ground camellias suggest it has been there a long time. They also have potted camellias.

Here's the rest of their info:

2610 SE 38th St, Ocala, FL 34480
    (352) 629-5766

They also sell assorted annuals, perennials, and trees. Camellias, however, are definitely their forte.

Other than being a customer, I have no connection to them - June

• peachpaws
    13 years ago

Erinon is a great camellia grower in Apopka.

• imagardener2
    13 years ago

Thought you'd like to see this list of FL (and other) camellia nurseries.
    I'm so glad they aren't close to me, I'd be there in a heartbeat and there's no room...no room (keep repeating).

Tell us what you bought, with photos if possible. Full report :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia nurseries

• rosarama
    13 years ago

Or you could visit the Apopka Art & Foliage Festival held during the last weekend in April (I believe the 50th one is coming up). They have the most beautiful camellias there. I bought 2 several weeks ago and they are full of blooms right now. One a lovely red and the other a pink and white. Just a thought - trying to help you and pump up the local economy at the same time.
    All joking aside, it's a wonderful time to visit - there's everything at that Festival and you'd never regret it!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all of the great links. rosarama, the festival looks very cool. Link below for anyone interested!

Here is a link that might be useful: 50th Annual Apopka Art and Foliage Festival

• judderwocky
    13 years ago

I can vouch for Bob Wines in Ocala Fl

I live very close to there, and I pass by their nursery all time. Daily :)

They have beautiful plants, and a very knowledgeable staff.
    I believe they also have a selection of citrus. IF you go now, you can see their citrus trees in bloom. Very fragrant.

They have several other flowering plants around, the area.
    I think you would fine a large selection of healthy stock there. They have roses as well.

• Derrick44
    10 years ago

Good nursery in central FL is Liner source. They have a nice selection and friendly. I think they are in Eustis.

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

I've also had good luck with plants bought at Bob Wines. And like June said their display of in the ground camelias is wonderful.

• lauriault
    9 years ago

Sorry to have to disagree with a number of these posts, but in my opinion Bob Wine's nursery is absurdly overpriced. I would estimate that their prices are double what other nurseries in the area charge. Unfortunately most of the really fine old-line camellia nurseries in North Central Florida are long gone, but you can still find some good plants at good prices if you look on Craigs List after the first of the year. Most of these small nurseries are 75 to 100 miles north of Ocala, but I'm sure there are growers in all directions.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

I found a great little nursery on New Kings Rd in the Jax/ Dinsmore area. They carry camelias, some of the more unusual citrus, hydrangeas, and even miracle fruit , mangoes, & other tropicals etc in the spring. I like their selections of peppers and herbs they have out in spring. I am a picky customer because I have a lot of stuff already but I do like this nursery. I think its called Gore's Nursery.

• apapjim
    9 years ago

Erinon Nursery on Plymouth Sorrento Rd.in Northwest Orange county used to be great but I haven't been there since Jerry died.

papa Jim