Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FreezePruf

Posted by morningloree 9b (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 21:06

I just saw an advertisement for a product called FreezePruf, it is supposed to raise the cold tolerance of a plant by 2 to 9 degrees. Supposedly it enhances the natural antifreeze properties of the plants. It is suggested to spray the plant 8-12 hours before temperature drops. Has anyone tried this? I am thinking of ordering it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FreezePruf

Morningloree, did you see my comment on the thread "Freeze Watch Saturday Night" that I posted yesterday? I said: "Does anyone remember a product called "Wilt-Pruf"? I remember my grandmother and aunts using it throughout my childhood up in Michigan, and I used it myself back in the early 90's... now I can't find it anywhere, not even online. Not a mention of it!
You'd attach it to your hose, spray all foliage (flowers, plants, tree leaves) and it made a sort of waxy "jacket" on them. The spring rains and sunshine would "melt" it back off. (Not a true wax, just waxy/tacky)"
I wonder if it's the same product and I'm just remembering the name wrong, or if it's similar? I'm going to check it out! *Excited!*

o

Aw hell. LOL! First time I've googled "Wilt Pruf" and it pops right up. Now to compare the two! (Probably one is for summer, the other for winter?)

o

Here's a post about it about a couple of years ago...

Here is a link that might be useful: Freeze Pruf...

o

I've read a few people's reviews that said it worked for them...It definitely did NOT work for me!

Here's a picture of my Lychee tree that I sprayed it on...as you can see it was heart breaking and the tree died a few weeks later :o(...

Here is a link that might be useful: Freeze Pruf...

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 7:53

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 8:16

It didn't work for me either, so I stopped using it. I lost one star fruit that was sprayed...

Silvia

o

Hi Silvia, Yes, I was very disappointed it didn't work for me either...especially since I paid about $100 for one gallon of concentrate (if memory serves) I think it makes 4 Gallons of mixed product.

I was really looking forward to not have to cover/protect/heat a couple of my trees after reading some reviews that it worked for them...I wish I had the same luck they did...but unfortunately I wasn't as lucky....Can't win them all I guess,lol...

o

We used Wilt Pruf in Michigan and it did work... for early frosts and late frosts. Nothing "hard freeze" though.
That was ages ago, though. And for me, a completely different set of plants and trees.
*shrug*
I think I'll stick with hardy perennials as much as possible.

o

How heartbreaking to lose a tree. I covered my stuff with frost blankets and all is well. I probably won't invest in Frost Pruf. Yes, I did see the post on Wilt Pruf, wonder if it is the same stuff.

o

They're not the same. Different brands, MSDS, etc... Here's a quick side-by-side comparison, but there are others:

Here is a link that might be useful: FreezPruf vs. Wilt-Pruf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here