Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another preschool gardening question. Re: beans in containers

Posted by FLgardenmom 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 21:06

So, I have volunteered to take control of my kids' preschool's 4 raised garden beds. I knew they wouldn't be ready right away, but are planning to plant them out next week. So, I got started this week by helping each class plant bush green beans in dixie cups. I'm going to send these home, and the kids are so excited, I know they are going to want to plant them. Now there might be a parent or two with a garden suitable for planting their precious plants in, but we all know no good will come of sticking them in the sandy ground here! I was thinking of typing up some instructions on how to grow them in a pot for the parents.

I have some ideas, but wanted some guidance from my mentors. ;)

What advice would you put in such a send home?

TIA,
Becca

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another preschool gardening question. Re: beans in containers

I guess that depends on what type they are. If they are stocky enough to stand up on their own and be OK I'd just write something simple like 'Take me home, place in a pot with soil in a sunny place, water and watch me grow!' on the back of the tag make sure you say that it is an edible green bean - 60 days to harvest. Leave it at that.

Putting too much info will make people nervous. If they think it's hard to take care of it might just get thrown away. KWIM?

I can't tell you how many times I brought home sunflowers or corn starts only to have my Mother throw them out or not take care of them. LOL.

Barbie

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 19:57

...we all know no good will come of sticking them in the sandy ground here! I was thinking of typing up some instructions on how to grow them in a pot for the parents.

Huh? Bush and pole beans are the easiest and hardiest of veggies to grow here in the Florida sandy soil simply by poking a hole to the end of your fingernail, popping a seed into it and pinching the hole closed. All that's required after that is a little water now and then, it's an ideal veggie for nurturing growth of plants, parents and kids, foolproof if grown at the right times of the year here.

Tom

o

See! That's why I asked. Great point about 'less is more' on the instructions.
And, Tom, yes, I know they are hearty, that's why I used them with kids. But I had no clue they could be planted in this God aweful sand. Thanks so much!
Kind of sad that I am the one in control of the gardening project. They all think I'm so wise in the ways of growing. LOL! Oh well, I may not know much, but I have a passion for it and that's what really matters with keeping kids attention and getting them excited!

Becca

o

Fri, Feb 3, 12 at 10:47

You need to give yourself more credit ;-)

Pole beans are ideal for kids because they grow so fast and so long it's easy to see resuts. Bush beans are okay in a container but in my opinion pole beans will keep their attention better.

Tom

o

I'm learning and I'm getting there. Yes, I probably should have done pole beans, as many stated that they wanted a big bean stalk like Jack! ;) I think I will use pole beans for in the garden beds. I got these giant sunflower seeds. I'm so excited for them to watch them get bigger and bigger and bigger!

I just finished getting the beds prepared this morning. Next week is going to be a blast!

o

Sun, Feb 5, 12 at 8:49

Also, if you can find some purple pole beans they can see them better and the flowers have a purple hue instead of white, more appealing since flowering and bean growth are easier to watch. The beans will turn green when cooked, so the kids find this interesting too.

If you send me your mailing info and are willing to pay mailing and for a bubble envelope I'll send you some Purple Podded pole beans, very prolific.

Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here