Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where do you order your plants and seeds?

Posted by tinael01 9B (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 21:19

Where do you order your plants and seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where do you order your plants and seeds?

I get seeds all over the place. I have a bit of a seed "problem." A good place to order plants is www.almostedenplants.com. I haven't ordered from them in a while, but they have some interesting stuff and I was happy with the things I received from them.

o

I buy most from Tomato Growers Supply, a good source for tomato, peppers and eggplant seeds. Great selection, good prices and reasonable shipping. Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds is my other place to find seeds you can't find anywhere else. They will send you a beautiful catalogue too.
john

o

Agreed about Baker Creek - wow, what a catalogue! Just gorgeous, and they have a terrific selection of exotic items. They sell only open-pollinated varieties, no hybrids.

For people on a budget or just starting/restarting a garden, Pinetree Garden Seeds (www.superseeds.com) sells small packets of vegetable and herb seeds for cheap. They have a lot of seeds for <$1.50. Some of them are heirloom seeds, but many of them aren't. They don't have the biggest or most exotic selection, but if you have to buy basic seeds for your whole garden at once, saving $1-$2 per packet of seeds adds up.

But I want to be clear - they do put fewer seeds in a packet than most places. So you should consider how many seeds you'll use each year and how many years the seeds are likely to keep. For me and my small garden, in most cases the small packets from Pinetree are about all I am likely to use before the seeds lose vigor. However, if I were sharing seed with other gardeners or planting more of each type of plant, the bigger packs with more seeds would make more sense. (For a few really common seeds, there's no difference in the number of seeds per packet. Genovese Basil for example: 100 seeds for $1.35 at Pinetree or $3.95 at Johnny's or Burpee.)

Another place to look for exotic tomatoes and peppers is Totally Tomatoes (www.totallytomato.com). They have very little besides tomatoes and peppers, though.

o

Richter's. They are in Canada. Awesome catalog. So much good info and some unusual seeds. I had a problem with germination and they sent me free seeds at no charge.

o

Horizon Herbs. I have been ordering seeds from their online site for the last 5 years. Not one single germination problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horizon Herbs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here