Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need low landscape shrubs 18' ht. and 30' ht.

Posted by strumhead 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 6, 12 at 21:41

Hi Florida gardeners. I'm relatively new to the state and don't know a lot of the plants. I'm wondering if anyone could offer recommendations for low height landscape shrubs that are devoid of bad habits. I'm looking for some things that look nice most of the year. Flowering is not critical. If it blooms, that's fine, but mostly I want nice foliage. This could also be considered groundcover as long as it didn't spread excessively. I'm looking for one shrub that is easy to keep at 18" height and one that is easy to keep at 30" height. If that was their ultimate height--with no trimming-- that'd be great. Thanks for any recommendations.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need low landscape shrubs 18' ht. and 30' ht.

Indian hawthorn

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images - Indian Hawthorn

o

forgot to mention that I am in between Tampa and Lakeland.

o

Yep, I give a second on the Indian Hawthorn. There are a lot of different cultivars, and mature sizes vary from 2 feet (which would be easy to keep to about 18") to 6' or more. Be sure to check the mature size before you buy. Hawthorns are planted in medians, shopping centers, and such everywhere around here. Happiest in full sun.

Liriope also works for the 18" height. Not a shrub but an ornamental grass. Its mature height is about 18", so no trimming would be needed. I wonder if it would be happier in partial shade that far south, though? Note that Liriope muscari does not spread much, but Liriope spicata does. Muscari has purple bloom spikes in spring, dark berries in fall and winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here