Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Pool cage remodel help

loves2read
11 years ago

I wondered if anyone on this forum has had a lanai/patio inside a pool cage remodeled -- going from a cement type surface to pavers...
We need to redo the patio surface for house we bought recently...
have been getting estimates from several people -- some who just do paver/tile work and some who build/remodel pools in addition to patio work...

One contractor has as part of his estimate laying pavers to the edge of the original concrete--which means removing the bottom rail of the aluminum pool cage and replacing it over the new layer of pavers, then replacing the screen...
To me this seems parallel to laying tile or wood flooring and removing baseboards or built in appliances like a dishwasher or trash compactor--and laying flooring then replacing the appliances--to make new flooring flush to wall surface
It is a finished look...

But the other contractors and some of the people I have talked to who had their patios resurfaced with pavers only have them run up to the bottom of the pool cage...so they are about even with that bottom rail...

Any comments one way or the other?
I am going to call some companies that do pool cages and see if there is structural reason to take it up and replace on top of pavers...
it doesn't have to be done by a pool cage contractor--no license to just raise it basically...I called Sarasota county permit dept today...

appreciate any info

Comments (11)

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

All I can suggest, really, is ask to see past work from people you are considering. My father-in-law had to have his lanai re-done twice after the first crew didn't lay the pavers correctly and left a few uneven pavers and puddling areas. Aside from that, no personal experience myself.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

I believe the first one he called around and asked for quotes. A few quoted over the phone and he passed them up (how can you give an accurate quote without seeing the site?) Of the ones that came out to look and quote, he picked the cheapest that seemed like they knew what they were talking about (some were cheaper, but gave a 'bad vibe'). Turns out the 'cheapest but sounded like he knew what he was talking about' either didn't have a good crew or sounded better than his work looked.

The second he learned about by word-of-mouth. He went around to his neighbors and checked out their lanais. The ones that he liked, he asked for the name of the contractor. Two or three houses used the same crew and that's who he went with. It was a little more expensive than the first guy (almost double when you consider this was a SECOND remodel), but the final product was much better. It might seem weird to go around knocking on doors saying, "Do you have your lanai paved? Can I see it?", I know I would have a hard time doing it, but in the long run, you meet your neighbors and you could end up with a lanai remodel that you actually like.

• rednofl
    11 years ago

I have my screened porch done like the 2nd method. it is fine as long as the underlying surface is sound no different than tileing.. therefore the drainage is the same. Any low spots will need to be fixed. and you may want to have any sealer stripped off before you lay new pavers over it. You will have a 1 in edge in the doorways that has to be transitioned . I do think raising the old frame is better way to go if money is not a issue.

• loves2read
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Have had three estimates so far and the guy who says take off the bottom rail and replace after pavers are laid is really not that much more/less expensive than the other two so far...
    Having another guy come out today and waiting for estimate from the 5th...

any input as to using polymeric sand vs loose sand as top dressing for pavers
    One company said they did not use it
    others do.

• loves2read
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Callled a local company who is major pool cage installer and other outdoor remodeling including re-doing windows on homes...
    asked about taking up that bottom rail and replacing...
    got some interesting info

apparently when pool cages are put together the bottom rail is screwed into the concrete--which we can see...
    and there is L bracket in corners of the uprights and the bottom rail...
    but there is also INSIDE the upright at least one screw holding the bottom rail to the concrete patio...

So the guy asked me how they were going to take off that bottom section and I said unscrew the screws and use new ones when they put it back...
    he said yes--but if they just break off the interior screw they likely will damage the bottom rail and void the structural integrity of the pool cage...

He said to do it correctly you have to open up the upright aluminum post to get to all the screws holding the bottom rail to the concrete...very time consuming so very expensive...

I said so you wouldn't really do that unless you were redoing the pool cage at same time and he said 'that's right"...

SO guess I will contact the guy who says he would remove the aluminum strips and replace and ask how that is going to happen...

live and learn...

• abnorm
    11 years ago

Go Bigger......don't look for the individual retail installer

Find the stone paver you like and look to the distributor or manufacturer......they will have a list of preferred installers but can also provide installation details that are approved

Personally I think you're looking for a glue-down installation like tile.....with overlays the weak links are always how-to-handle the transitions and doorways

Don't mess with the structure......My-Not-So-Humble-Opinion

• loves2read
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Why would I want a glued down installation material--it would only buckle over time...and taking up the concrete around the pool is just not feasible nor smart IMO
    even travertine in this area as a remodel and new construction is usually set on sand...

agree that finding a paver might have been the first step vs finding the contractor
    but most paver suppliers in FL are local--meaning you have to be here to see the product..
    I was in DFW TX area when my husband first started this project--
    his idea to get the patio redone although he has spent 10 vs my 110% of time researching and planning what he wants...
    so we got names of contractors from our realtor who has given us really good electrician and whose judgement we trust...so we could start the estimate process...

• John Taylor
    2 years ago

Loves2Read....what was your decision on your project. I have the same dilemma except we're only pavering our screened lanai enclosure....no pool enclosure....thank God.

• jane__ny
    2 years ago

I have pavers and hate them. There are low spots, some rock when you step on them The low areas collect water when it rains and sand comes out between the blocks.

They were here when we bought the house. I want cement! Cleaner and less tripping.

Jane

• John Taylor
    2 years ago

Wow! So sorry to learn of your suffering. Thank God that our lanai already has a cement foundation for our remodel pavers. Best wishes to finding a solution.

JT

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm