Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeblfsk

Tree trunk bashing ?

I have four mango trees in my back yard, each in the ground 4 yrs and all healthy and robust looking. However, only two are covered with the pannicles for a promising harvest in 4, 5 months. The other two, the Kent and Nam Doc Mai, so far have shown absolutely no new pannicles whatsoever, despite both producing fruit last year and getting the same TLC,( organic compost, 2 fungus sprayings, etc ), this year.
I was just going to accept a barren year for both trees, figuring it was just Mother Nature's whim. Then someone suggested that I should take a baseball bat to the two trunks and give each tree a couple of whacks. That, in his estimation, will shake the trees up enough to start producing. I am of the belief that this is just an old wives tale, but still curious.
Has anyone out there heard of this ? Thanks.

This post was edited by jofus on Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 21:28

Comments (17)

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

The only thing I have found on this is a comment from someone at a Travel site saying that people should NOT hit mango trees to get fruit down as the Mango trees seem to respond negatively to being hit by producing sour fruit.

Since the Mango tree seemingly does respond to being hit and it affects the taste of the fruit, I imagine that striking a dormant one will still cause it to 'wake up' and put into action any 'repair' systems it might have. Still, it sounds very strange and I don't know if I would do it to mine. If I had any. I envy you Zone 10 people and your mango trees.

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

I heard it once years ago on a garden show on tv to get flowering trees to put out flowers. It supposedly stimulates the hormone that produces the flowers. I have no idea if it works or if it is harmful in any way.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    11 years ago

Found this @ the CRFG site:
    "Branches may be ringed to induce flowering, but the results are mixed."

Here is a link that might be useful: Mango facts

• shear_stupidity
    11 years ago

I've not heard of using a baseball bat, but I have heard of people using a rolled up newspaper. You're really meant to "spank" the tree, not "bash" it.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    11 years ago

And when you're done spanking it, be sure to reassure it of your love.

And not while the neighbors are out.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

And gardenweb just went to a whole new level of weird...

• shear_stupidity
    11 years ago

Well, one simply MUST be firm in these matters....

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Leekle, you ain't seen nothing yet! Where's Lou???

For the record, the gardening show on HGTV years ago said to use a baseball bat to get trees to flower, they didn't say mangoes, just trees in general.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Jofus, I don't think its anything you've done...I belong to another forum and most of them grow mango and many of the members are having the same issues that you're having and so am I. Its a BAD mango season so far for me...I've had Blooms but the blooms dry up with little to no fruit set, depending on the tree. My large 5 year old Glenn has very few on the tree. My Cogshall has a little bit more but its looking to be a sad mango summer overall. I think its due to the fact that its been very warm and we've had a lot of FOG and the humidity has been higher that previous years.

I personally wouldn't hit your trunks with a bat,lol...just hope for the best. Maybe you will still get some late blooms, I'm hoping on that for my Keitt...NOT one single bloom and last year I had at least a dozen fruit from it (very first crop for me).

Good Luck!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

It has been posted here before for citrus and avocado trees that don't produce, but they recommended the rolled up newspaper or a piece of hose. Never tried it myself, but I sure wouldn't use a baseball bat if I ever did.

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Puglvr : Thanks again for your relevant ( smile ) and informed comments.
    The friend trying to be helpful is most likely misinformed. Have gone thru less than bonanza seasons before,..this will just be the latest.
    One closing note, - today I bought my 5th mango tree, - a Tebow in a 3 gal pot( covered in pannicles ). Dug the hole this morning and will plant it tomorrow. This will be it, no more room, but optimistic about the future. Love those mangos !( smile )

This post was edited by jofus on Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 21:32

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Congrats on your latest purchase. I too LOVE mango and if I didn't have to protect them in the winter I would have planted at least 5 more,lol...

I also purchased another mango tree 3 weeks ago, a "maha chanook", this one is not getting planted in the ground for a while. I'm keeping it in the pot so I can bring it inside during a cold snap. A little less work for now.

Good luck with your Tebow!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Puglvr : Thanks for telling us about your latest acquisition. I have never heard of a " Maha Chinook " so I googled and got some sketchy info,..was impressed. Where did you buy it ? How large was it ? Pot size ? Cost ? Max height if planted in ground ? Got any pics ?
    My new Tebow was purchased at the MRT nursery in South Venice and cost $34.95 for a 3 gal specimen.
    I saw on a couple of blogs that the Maha Chinook, besides tasting great, also has a pleasant aroma,..is that true ? Always curious,.. may have space for one more, who knows ? lol

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Hi Jofus...the other tropical fruit forum I belong too was how I found out about Maha Chanook...up to that point I've never heard of this variety either. Btw, this one has several spellings when you google it,lol...But I think the right spelling is "Maha Chanook".

I believe they were originally from Thailand and were very hard to come by and quite expensive when they finally hit the US. I know of someone that paid around $140 for a 3 gallon! $100 for the tree and $40 for shipping costs. While I was looking to purchase one I found 2 places in FL that were selling them for $69.99 and $99.99 for a 3 gallon!! Waaaay too much for my blood,lol...I don't mind paying a little more money for a mango tree but I would at least like to have a 7 gallon for that price. I eventually found one, place in Lake Worth, FL called "Excalibur Fruit Trees"...it was far away from me but hubby and I decided to make an adventure out it and drove down to pick one up, take the nursery tour (which I enjoyed very much) and had lunch in Lake Worth since neither one of us have ever been there before...I ended up buying a 7 gallon for $65. Best price in the State of Florida,lol...for this rare/hard to find mango.

I have personally never tried one yet...but everyone that has tried one had nothing but great reviews on the taste/flavor. The tree is also suppose to be a manageable size, which is a plus for me.

Jofus, there is always room for just one more :o)

Here's my 7 gallon Maha Chanook tree...

Original Author
    11 years ago

Puglvr : Thanks for the info and the photo,..am green witth envy. I called Excalibur and spoke with a very nice, informative lady. She has many of the Maha Chanook's in 7 gal pots and invited me over for a look see. Also told me I would regret planting that Tebow tree.
    Google maps however, say it would be 170 miles one way ( 3 1/2 hours !!! )
    Have scoured the internet since, hoping to find a closer supplier. Man, these guys are indeed scarce. Found only one outfit that could only ship, and only 3 gal trees, - at $100.00/ea.
    . Will spend one more day psyching myself up, but 99 % sure I will drive there tomorrow. The tree is a slow grower, which dictates a 7 gal specimen rather than a 3 gal.
    Oh well, in for a penny...
    Thanks for your info,.. was your drive as long ? Will bring along two old fitted sheets and a means to tie them down in my Ford Ranger pickup bed. Learned the hard way a few years ago about transporting uncovered mango trees long distances on major highways in an open PU bed. But if that 7 gal tree would fit inside, it would be ideal. It is an extended cab, and only me in it.
    Will post a pic when ( if ) I get back ! ( smile )

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Just for the record, I've never taken a bat to a tree, I just said I saw it on TV. :o)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Hi Jofus! I feel your pain...wasn't looking forward to that long drive either. My drive wasn't quite as bad as yours is going to be...I live in the middle of the state (highlands county) so its a little closer for me...I believe it was a 2 1/2 hour drive ONE way :o(...the 5 hour round trip was the reason behind making a day out of it,lol...If I didn't want a Maha SO bad I would have never gone that far to buy one either, but I couldn't find one closer unless I paid an arm and a leg for it... The price was really good at Excalibur, especially for such a rare and scarce variety and I had a great time taking the golf cart tour of their nursery. They had many inground established mature fruit trees, I really had a nice time looking and taking pictures. Even tried a few fruits I've never tasted before.

If you want the name of the "other" forum email me and I can send you the link (I can't post it here). Maybe you can post your questions about "Tebow mango" on there, several of the members there either have the tree or have tasted the fruit...

I have a Kia sportage (small SUV) and the 7 gallon fit in the back seat just fine...once I put the front seat almost all the way up so hopefully yours will fit nicely inside the cab so you won't get "wind damage" from the open Cab of your truck.

Hi Katkin...NO worries, I'm sure we all knew you were not an advocate of "beating" any plant with a bat,lol...:o)