Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slopfrog

Peach tree stuck halfway out of dormancy?

slopfrog
11 years ago

I've got a tropic snow, and it is barely out of dormancy for about 6 weeks now.I have green leaves at the tips of branches and 2 or 3 flowers on the whole tree, but a lot of buds that haven't broken yet.

Last summer I took the tree out of a large container and put it in the ground. It responded well and grew quite a bit and was healthier than its ever been. It started going dormant around early October and lost all it's leaves about late November.

Previously, the tree broke dormancy suddenly and put out gobs of leaves and flowers. I had fruit by late April. I have two pea sized fruits so far so there's no way it's going to be out by April this year.

it just seems weird that it's broken dormancy but isn't coming out all the way. Is this normal?

Comments (9)

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Totally normal. It is because winter has been so mild. In cold winters they don't break dormancy until mid Feb. Mine has had a few sporadic blooms and leaves since mid Jan this year. Full bloom will still occur at the regular time.

• thetradition
    11 years ago

I have a tropic snow that's been in the ground less than one year and it's doing the same thing you're describing.

• morningloree
    11 years ago

I have a Bonfire Peach Tree that the buds are just breaking on, it is the first Peach Tree I have tried, do you have to spray it for pests? I have asked at stores and not many people are familiar with peaches in Florida.

• thetradition
    11 years ago

Re: spraying for pests. If you read the literature, UF seems to be recommending drenching peach trees in chemicals almost weekly. However, there's a radio gardening show host I listen to who says there will be pest and diseases on your peach tree, but for the homeowner, it's best to only treat when a problem is noticed, rather than trying to do all the preventative sprays. But you have to scout your tree regularly because problems can crop up quickly. It's still probably a good idea to hit it with a dormant oil spray this time of year, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig075

• morningloree
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link, extremely helpful. I have worried about spraying because of the declining bee population, they suggest spraying in late evening to avoid harming bees. Appreciate the info.

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

I spray my tree spring and fall with seaweed nutritional spray, and nothing else. I sought out a disease resistant variety and that made all the difference. My first peach tree was a poor variety choice for the climate here, and no amount of spraying could keep it healthy. I currently have a tropic sweet, and it is fantastic. Fruits well, very healthy, and no chemical sprays.

• wallisadi
    11 years ago

never get to taste one, critters get them....

• jhl1654
    11 years ago

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    11 years ago

I have had two Tropic Beauty peach trees in my yard for almost 2 1/2 years. During that time I enjoyed two robust harvests each May. However, the first year I lost half the almost ripe fruit to critters, including large gray birds who were like Kamikazes, - diving right into the middle of the branches, sometimes getting stuck in there,...flapping their wings till they died. I ultimately had to wrap netting from Home Depot around each tree, but even then, lost more than a few peaches.
    Have attached a pic, hope you can see the netting and sparce development like everyone else is experiencing.
    Think this will be my last crop of these delicious fruits, just too much of a hassle. Will cut down the 2 trees and replace with one Maha Chinook mango tree. Less problems with mango's,..need to lighten my load, not getting any younger ! lol

This post was edited by jofus on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 7:25

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner