Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aquaponics Update 10 Feb 14

Posted by loufloralcityz9 Z 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 23:00

Still getting vine ripened tomatoes in Feb. The round tomatoes are German Johnsons, the others are Romas.

Lou

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aquaponics Update 10 Feb 14

This is my new 125 gallon fish tank setup for breeding the Tilapia. It is not complete as yet, I'm still working on the plumbing to the blue barrel grow beds.

Lou

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 7:47

Good morning Lou

Your aquaponics set up is looking very good! And you are beating us all with the fresh tomatoes. You always have good ideas to improve the garden, I would like to see a Youtube video of you working in your projects from the chickens to the tilapia to the greenhouse, etc. etc. You are a busy man!:)

Silvia

o

I can tell you first hand those tomatoes are GOOD:)

o

Hi Sylvia,
Thanks for your moral support. My next project will be making a large wicking bed (earthbox type of grow bed) out of IBC tote bottoms (3.5 foot wide by 4 foot long) for growing root crops.
BR gave me the idea on how to make it, he made his using the bottoms of blue barrels and so far they seem to work great as larger earthboxes. My idea is to use the bottom part of the IBC tote like a raised bed that would be completely isolated from the ground because of my nematode and mole problem that destroy root crops.
I might use your idea of making a video on how I build it.

Lou

o

• Posted by dlsm Z9b Titusville Fl (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 9:50

Lou, I normally have tomatoes the month of February. The past 3 or 4 years we have had an invasion along the coast of the Caribbean white flies with their disease. They wipe out my tomatoes each year starting in November.

Your projects sound very interesting. Let us know how you make out.

Luther

o

Very nice setup. I wish I lived a little further south so I could have tomatoes in Feb without a greenhouse! Maybe in a few years after I finish grad school we can move!

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 17:43

Lou, I will be looking forward to see your next project, sounds like a good idea!

Silvia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here