Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
manature

STERILE Mexican Petunia

manature
16 years ago

I post about this all the time, but no one seems to believe me. Home Depot carries a completely, 100% sterile, totally non-invasive Mexican Petunia. It is tall and beautiful. The butterflies love it. It is low water, can tolerate extreme heat, cold tolerant, and blooms all year long. There is NO DOWN SIDE to this plant.

I have had them in two different homes for years, and never, EVER had a single seedling from them. They don't spread via runners, either.

The trick is to be sure you get the brand "Florida Friendly" and it will say on the label that it is a sterile variety. The dwarf ruellia "Katie" is supposed to be less invasive, but it spreads like crazy! It's just slower about it. The sterile variety is a tall plant, and I think it is called Purple Showers.

Too many people miss out on this champion performer when they don't have to. I can't recommend it highly enough if you like willowy purple flowers that attract butterflies.

Honest. I'm tellin' ya the truth. (Would I lie?)

Marcia (Did I mention it is NON-INVASIVE??)

Comments (6)

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Well, Ma, I guess I don't have that one in my yard, cuz they're popping up everywhere!

I know you're not lieing to me.

But can I keep up weeding out my invasive one?

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Hi
    .Mine don't spread by seeds only runners that I'm aware of so how would "sterile " help?? How do they prevent it producing runners?? can't remember where I got my start probaly HD so probably have those anyway.
    Have found the pink and white forms MUCH less invasive in fact the white is downright delicate lol.
    gary

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I have posted this before, We planted this plant years ago
    and have had not one bit of problem with it.
    Dh even used it at work.

Its a pretty little plant, especially when paired with something yellow

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

I am going to have to look for this one as I truly love the ruellas for the color and the butterflies. I just have been putting up with the runners.

I did revamp my garden and took out all the dwarf ones. I had used the purple ones like a border and while I loved it I couldn't expand, so out they came. I am always increasing the beds. :o)

• manature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Don't get me wrong...I'm not MAD that no one believes me (or very few do)...I'm SAD for you guys to be missing out on such a fantastic plant.

Treefrog, I'm sorry you are stuck with the old kind. I wish you good luck in controlling them. I know they are a PAIN!

Gary, ruellias usually reproduce by seeds AND runners, which is why you will find some still connected to the mother plant, and others halfway across your yard. The sterile, non-invasive ones don't do either. Sterile...no seeds. Non-invasive...no runners. Or at least, not LONG ones. The clump itself will thicken a bit, just like a clump of irises or daylilies, etc, but that's it. And even that is very slow. They are SAFE to plant anywhere.

I agree the pink and white ones are less invasive than the OLD purple ones, but they still seed. I have one pink one I inherited when we moved in here, and I find a few babies scattered about the yard every year. Strictly from seed. The Florida Friendly purple ones do not do that.

D'Ann, I'm so glad you post now and then to confirm what I say. Sometimes I think folks believe I'm delusional on this topic. (There are MANY topics I AM delusional on, but this ain't one of 'em.)

Katkin, please see if your Home Depot carries this variety, as I KNOW you will love it. The reason I recommend HD is that I've never seen the Florida Friendly label anywhere else, but it's a BIG nursery, so there may be other retail outlets that carry the brand. I will have to scan the label and post a piccie, so you guys will know what to look for.

If you love rich purple flowers on tall, willowy stems that look great scattered in your rose garden or other places, are draught tolerant, heat tolerant, frost tolerant, low-maintenance, and attract butterflies, the Florida Friendly Brand, Sterile, Non-Invasive Mexican Petunias (ruellia) are JUST the plant for you! Go get 'em!!

Marcia

• hmp2z
    16 years ago

I have the sterile Mexican petunia (Purple Showers), and I love it!
    Cheers!
    Heather W

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations