martin house

garyfla_gw
11 years ago

Hi
A pic of the matin house. Cost me 11 dollars including the pole ,lol gary

Comments (10)

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

Very nice. But why do you have it attached to that power line? Wouldn't that be a bit dangerous?

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi
    An illusion of the pic actually about 15 feet from the power line as well as being 5 feet below it lol gary

• thetradition
    11 years ago

Now you get the joy of chasing unwanted bird species out of the house, keeping snakes from climbing it if you do get martins, and the excitement of being dive-bombed by them if they should have chicks.

• thetradition
    11 years ago

By the way, how'd you get it so cheap?

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi
    the main body is a 25 year old trash can, the roof is a second hand 15 year old drip catcher The pole is PVC slipped over a steel pipe cemented into a concrete block
    which I found in the yard . The floors and room divisions are made of left over vinyl wall panels Only thing i bought was the PVC and the paint. I splurged with a two tone paint job which added 4 bucks lol
    i suspect it will not attract martins as it's too close to the house ,pole is too short but paper wasps will love it!!! gary

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    11 years ago

That's great. I should do something like that!

• theoj
    11 years ago

I had Martins the first day I put my house up and for years they came back but eventually they quit coming and I never see them flying in the sky, I suspect hawks have caused them to move on.
    theo

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sultry
    Choose any shape except a flared cylinder!! Boy was it tough getting and cutting the pieces for the floors and divisions .i divided ito thirds trying to stay in the 6 inch cubes. .Used a 1/2 PVC pipe with slots for the center support . It can be lowered and disassembled for cleaning
    My original plan was a Gothic style dove cote but was too small. and was too cheap to spring for the necessary materials lol
    Theo
    So far the only thing that has come near it is a Red tailed hawk lol gary

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    11 years ago

Thank you for the instructions. I wouldn't have even guessed that is was a trash can. How large of trash can is it?
    The inside does seem like it would be the most difficult part for me. I just might try it though.
    Do you think it would be better in full sun or placed somewhere that it would get afternoon shade? There are lots of large shade trees in the yard.
    Please post pics when the future occupants move in. It will be exciting to watch them.
    ~SJN

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

SJN
    You might try google on "Purple martins"Will give you much more info than I ever could lol Many pix of various designs and locations I seriously doubt this design is suitable but figured it would serve as a "sculpture " if not a working birdhouse ??
    I think the hawk might discourage any interested birds anyway?? Certainly thinned out the bird feeders lol He looks so funny trying to balance on those 1/4 inch perches lol
    Anyway check out some of the sites on the martins
    gary