Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pindo palm crownshaft

Posted by carol44 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 7:47

I have a one year old pindo palm whose crownshaft appears to be dead from the extreme cold this winter here in the panhandle. Will it grown a new one or should I consider it a goner and dig it up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pindo palm crownshaft

Pindo palms only have a single growing point. If that point dies the entire palm is dead. Try pulling on the spear (the unopened new leaf). If it comes out easily the palm is probably dead. You can try pouring hydrogen peroxide inside the crown and hope for the best. If the new spear is firm when you pull thats a good sign. Use a sharpie to draw a line on the spear and an existing leaf. If the palm is still alive the spear will grow and the marks will separate. The palm is so young it doesn't sound good but pindos are tough so you never know.

o
RE: pindo palm crownshaft

Thank you for the info. I do believe the palm is dead as the spear came out easily and was quite mushy at the base. So sad. It was my first Pindo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here