Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whgille

April garden party

whgille
11 years ago

Saturday April 13 at 11am we are having our garden party. I hope that all the gardening friends that came before can make it and hope to meet new ones.
All the people that come are required to bring a dish or a drink to share with others. The plant and seed swap is optional for those that want to participate.
We have 3 dogs in the house for those that did not come to the parties before. It is adults only.
The program will be the same like last time, at 11am guests start arriving, at 11.30 group photo, at 12 is lunch, at 1 pm is the swap.
Hope that you can come to share food, garden talk and friendship. Let me know if you are coming and those that need the address, send me an email.

Our last garden party in October

Silvia

Comments (77)

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Morningloree

You and your husband are very welcome to the garden party! And I hope everyone gets good trades in the plant swap.
    The chicken dish is perfect! And I am so jealous of you going to the Azores, I knew a dear friend from there. If you find any interesting seeds, I would advise you to mail them to yourself, it is safe that way. Sometimes the customs let you bring cuttings with no soil.
    I am looking forward to meet you and have a lot of fun in your trip!

Silvia

• apapjim
    11 years ago

You're going to need a bigger boat---I mean house! Count me in and maybe wife too this time. The soups seemed popular last time and that's what I do best (with the left over bone from the Easter ham). I can do:

Black Bean
    Senate Navy Bean
    Spanish bean

If any of these would be appropriate--you pick! If not let me know and we'll try something else,

Papa Jim

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Papa Jim

I am so glad that you can come! And yes! to the soup, we all like it, you have some good choices there and anything you decide it will be a wonderful idea. Looking forward to try your soup...the dip last time was also popular.
    And you know there is plenty of parking outside and the more garden friends the merrier:)

Silvia

• apapjim
    11 years ago

Spanish bean it is then. I'll also bring disposable bowls and spoons to make clean up easier.

By the way I have one Monomakh's Hat from the seed you gave me last fall

Papa Jim

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Papa Jim

I am looking forward to try you Spanish bean soup. That is good that you planted the Hat tomato, I have one growing too this season, hopefully the weather gets better from now on. If you like sweet potatoes and you want to try some in your garden, I will have slips to plant....

Silvia

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

It's been years since Jim and I were able to make it to your Garden Party! I would love to come and will see if we can make that happen this time. I am finally, after about 3 years, getting back into my garden and as always your yard is an inspiration. It feels good to have dirt under my nails again!

Kate

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Kate!

We will be so happy to see you and Jim again! I remember all the friends that came to the first party, good to hear that you are back to gardening and that you are planning to come, looking forward to the garden party!

Silvia

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

Will anyone be passing through Tampa on the way to Silvia's? I can't go but have a one gallon Blush rose reserved for susiequsie. I am located less than a mile from an I275 interchange. Actually I have two Blush roses available.

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

Oh, holy cow! I've just been given a staghorn fern. Does anyone have any interest in pups? Or puplets? I can't keep all this!

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shuffles, I was hoping to see you and the other Tom, sorry to hear that you cannot come...If you change your mind, we will be happy to see you at the party....

Silvia

• mrs_tlc
    10 years ago

Good morning Silvia! I've always wanted to come to your garden party, but it in the past it has fallen on a time when I couldn't make it. I'd love to come this time if it's ok! I am travelling from pretty far south of you so I was also going to bring my sister so I don't have to drive alone.

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mrs Tlc

I am so happy that you can make it to the party! Looking forward to meet you and your sister. Contact me through my email to send you the address.

And to everyone that is coming, don't forget the party is this Saturday April 13, looking forward to see all the gardening friends!

Silvia

• mrs_tlc
    10 years ago

email sent! :)

• ibarbidahl
    10 years ago

Shuffles - 274& I-4 or 275 & 75? I can make my way past either but on Saturday I won't go bast I-4. I can go past friday evening and pick them up to bring though maybe only one would make it. LOL.I would still be glad to be the carrier.

:-D

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

barbi,

I am closest to I275 and Himes, but depending on which way you are travelling, also the Dale Mabry exit. Send me an email.

Tom

• vegasqueen
    10 years ago

Silvia..I can make it.
    Maxine

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am glad that you can make it Maxine, see you Saturday at the party!

Silvia

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

Tom
    Do you want me to bring some broms? (See below)
    I sent you an email, but was unable to include a picture.

Barbi, if this is workable for you and doesn't cause you any stress to deliver these trades, I'd like to give you a "Thank You" present from my yard. How about a rose? Or a banana plant?

Susie

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

Hey Mark
    Do you have any Pine Cone Ginger?
    I told Larry I'd bring him some, but I don't have any after all. I think the cold weather did them in....they have just disappeared.

Maxine HI! Were you able to get any Purple Firespike plants from those cuttings? I have been trying to root some more for about a month - in case you need them.

And Sylvia - I will be coming alone since my parents have other plans this Saturday. Their loss!

Does anyone want any yellow asclepias seeds or seedlings?

Susie

• vegasqueen
    10 years ago

Hi Susie ..no I didn't have any luck with the purple firespike..the pine cone ginger never came up.. can't wait to see everyone..

• dclegg_gw
    10 years ago

Almost forgot, I need the address to put in GPS. Thanks. See you Sat.

• wallisadi
    10 years ago

Have firespike, will look for pine cone.

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deb, I don't have your email address, you will have to contact me to send you the house address.

Looking forward to see all the garden friends this Saturday!

Silvia

• apapjim
    10 years ago

Mark and Larry- I'm bringing some Pine Cone Lily. Not sure if that's the same thing as Pine Cone Ginger. Called pine cone because the flower looks just like a big red pine cone, right? Also bringing a bucket of Ginger Lily roots. I think that's just plane old ginger. At least it looks just like the ginger they sell at Publix. Run me down at the party. I can generally be found lurking around the food.

Papa Jim

• abnorm
    10 years ago

Speaking of food........we're bringing Quiche.....AGAIN!

I've had that homemade smoker going......my test-meat has been those plain pork tenderloins......they're so lean I wrap them in bacon strips and tie with butcher string.......smoked for a couple hours with Apple wood.......Mmmmmmm Good!

For the party I smoked (or rather Over-Smoked) some Bacon and Mild Sausage for one pie and a Hot Sausage for the second......Sorry to the ChileHeads but I'm NOT adding the Jalapenos this year.......

We're anxious to see you all....visit the garden....and share the food.....

For plants we'll bring a couple Eggplant and some Hot Peppers in RedSoloCups

dougandpam

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Sure wish I could go. I know ya'll are gonna have fun. Every time I come to the forum I get this song in my head! (link below).

Carol in Jacksonville (humming along)

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Party

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Papa Jim, I am making some veggie dishes, I am looking forward to try your soup.

DougandPam, I cannot wait to taste those quiches again! Such a great cooks that come to the party!

Carol, I hope that one day you can make it to the garden party, btw good song! We will post pictures for all of you who cannot be at the party and let you know about all that happens and did I mention the trades? It is always a happy day!

For all the gardening friends, please try to label your plant trades and if possible the food. I will have some vegetarian options in the menu....

Cannot wait to see you All this Saturday!

Silvia

• stpetegardener
    10 years ago

I haven't been active on GW but I have to say that I am so excited for Silvia's party! I will be there with lots of plants to give, rose geranium, ground cherry, curly parsley, tomatoes, peppers, and a few others. I'll also be bringing fresh squeezed OJ (and some cake flavored vodka.) I still talk about the last party to my neighbors and friends. Thanks so much for putting this on Silvia, I can't wait to see you and your beautiful family. Since I haven't been posting, if anyone is curious, I have been posting pics and videos of my homestead garden at stpetegarden.com. Can't wait to see you all Saturday!!!

This post was edited by StPeteGardener on Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 22:25

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Derek! We are so happy that you and Aaron are coming! It is so nice to see the gardening friends again and wow! everything that you are bringing sounds great. I made some vegetarian dishes thinking of you...From the harvest I made brandy zucchini bread. And I am going to take a look at your pics and videos and I will tell Cheryl too.

Cannot wait till tomorrow!

Silvia

• ibarbidahl
    10 years ago

Shuffles-

check your email address. Hope all is well!

Barbie

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

barbie,

I haven't heard from you since Wed. I will be home all afternoon. Come on by. Did you get my address and phone number?

• ibarbidahl
    10 years ago

No, nothing in my email - shoot it to me at : ibarbidahl@yahoo.com

Thanks!

• wallisadi
    10 years ago

hope you still have that cart......M&J

• morningloree
    10 years ago

I have to work this Saturday, the water pumps went out at the dialysis unit, so I have to see my patients this Saturday. I really was looking forward to meeting everyone and eating good food!

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

WOW!
    I wish I had such bounty to share! Seeing that truck full of plants makes me wanna just leave my puny trades at home!

I'm posting this picture of solanum seaforthia because I have some seedlings, if anyone is interested. It's also called St. Vincent's Lilac.

Susie

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

M, that is impressive!!!
    And yes, I have the wagon and hopefully I will have help with organizing the swap. It is going to be the same like last time, everyone who came with plants, seeds and garden related items will have the chance to speak up about, it is up to the owner to decide where the things go.

And this is a note to all the garden friends, think about any garden items good for a swap, decorations, pots, etc. the idea is that everyone is happy and feels good with the trades and food and is a fun day where we all enjoy the good company. Remember M (Walli) is a very gifted gardener and likes ornamentals...

See you All tomorrow at 11am. For those that are going to be here for the first time, there is plenty of parking at the street, food items go to the front door where Cheryl will be taking care of organizing. Garden stuff, plants, etc, go to the side gate to the garden where we will put our items around the swap tent. When you enter the house, please put your name in the name tags that we will have. Appetizers and drinks will be available, feel free to walk around the garden and ask me any question. Very good gardeners are coming, it will a great time for learning. Some friends and neighbors that like to garden are also coming, the swap is open to just the garden friends from this forum.

Group picture is at 11.30 am

At 12, we will all have lunch and after that at 1pm we will start the swap

Like every spring, I will have sweet potato slips, the orange bush kind and the purple skin and flesh (not bush) but worth of growing. And Cheryl has violets to share....she is the flower person in the house.:)

Silvia

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Morningloree, I am sorry to hear that you are not coming, maybe next time.

Susie, there will be all levels of trading. We really have to think out of the box.:) I am sure all the trades are very welcome!

Silvia

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

Yes,Sylvia - you're right, as usual.

Thinkng out of the box. . . I was able to give away a plant last fall and I will never forget that person's smile.

And I was given part of a gorgeous begonia that delights me everytime I look at it. And I remember how willing they were to divide it and share it with several of us, so I hope everyone is enjoying their part as much as I am.

Looking forward to seeing you again and this time, learning more about your garden.

Susie

• mrs_tlc
    10 years ago

Heading to bed so I can rest up for the 3 1/2 hr. drive tomorrow to meet you all! I have a few things to trade, but certainly not as much as in the pickup! I'm bringing a roasted tomato & garlic dip with some wonderful bread. Was hoping to have time to make some of my homemade bread but work got in the way. I'll also pick up some drinks.

See you tomorrow!

• AmberBrook
    10 years ago

Hi Silvia, I'm looking forward to the party tomorrow! My parents are planing to come again, and my brother and his girlfriend might come over as well if they aren't too busy tomorrow at the bamboo farm.

I'm still not sure what I'm bringing for food, but I'll try not to duplicate anything! For the plant swap, I will be bringing a few miracle fruit seedlings again, and some other random things I have: red powder puff/Calliandra, snap ginger (Alpinia calcarata), Brown Turkey fig tree, brazilian cloak plant, and beach sunflower.

Looking forward to seeing everyone, and enjoying your wonderful garden!

• wallisadi
    10 years ago

This swap is a win/win situation! Get to take a road trip(I never leave my yard), meet a bunch of cool gardeners, eat some incredible food and come home with some really cool, new plants! On the other end, get to share my obsession(propagating), make my wife happy by finally getting part of the garden cleaned out and sharing plants that I started! Who could ask for a better day! Just hope they make the trip in good shape, nothing worse than raising these guys, then trashing them in transport .

• L_in_FL
    10 years ago

Can't wait for the pictures!

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

Thank you to everyone who gave me plants (which was just about everyone), and please accept my apologies for my greediness! In hindsight, I realize how selfish I must have seemed... I was just too excited to leave anything unclaimed!
    A special thank you to Mark, who I took LOTS of plants from, and to Susie... for the plants, the use of the marker, the plant labels, etc...
    Next year, I'll bring TONS of stuff... now that I understand the "process."
    A huge hug and thank you again to Sylvia for hosting this event!!

• Sylviaraw
    10 years ago

Had a great time today. The weather was perfect! The people. Knowledge. And boy did I come home with some great stuff. Oh, and the food I had was excellent!

Now I know what's happens, I hope to have much more to contribute at our next "meeting".

Silvia and Cheryl, thanks for being such great hosts and your garden is to die for!!

Sylvia "raw vegan" Ellis

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone that came to the party and made it so successful, we had a great time! I cannot wait to our next garden party.

Thanks to all the generous gardeners that came and share the plants with us, M&J, thank you for all your great job bringing such a big amount of plants to us, you have no idea how happy you made us, I hope that one day we can contribute to your generosity.

Thank you Kara for bringing all those plants with you!

So many people that I have to thank... and it was great to meet you Laurie! I hope that you arrive home safe and all the other friends that were traveling long distance. Our Tampa friends especial thanks, Derek, Aaron and Barbie.

Larry and Doug, big thanks for all the help in the swap, you guys were great!!!

Bridget, it was nice to meet you and hubby and the other Sylvia too.:)

All the guests rock! we just had a great party! I was waiting for the pictures that Cheryl took so you all can see them.

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: garden party

• inulover (9A Inverness, Florida)
    10 years ago

One of the many things that is so great about the party is that we come home with things that we never knew we wanted... and now that we have them, we get to grow your gardening skills. It keeps us young when we expand our horizons. Bless Silvia and her family, and that poor guy that spent the day at the sink.

Larry

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Larry, you are so funny! I have to tell him that,lol.

I cannot tell you how thankful I was with all your help, dogs were safe, the gate was in check and then you and Doug run the swap so good! you guys are the best!!!

I can honestly say that I have never seen so many plants in my life and what a great teachers! M&J, Kara and all the other guests who brought plants. I am getting a crash course, I hope that I can remember what I heard:)

Thank you All!

Silvia

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

Silvia
    Thank you so much. . . you guys are so generous to open your home.

And thanks to Larry and Doug for running the trade. You guys were just like pros.

~Susie

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Susie, thank you for coming, love your roses and I hope that they root for me.:) And you are so right, the stars of the show were Larry and Doug, they were great!

Silvia

• abnorm
    10 years ago

Thanks for the kind words......It was an easy swap with the bounty of plants that everyone brought.......

"Remember what we heard"......We need a transcription of ALL the conversations.....there was some GOOD talk going on......

New rule: next time only ONE person gets to talk at a time! ;-)

dougandpam

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County