Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eaglejohn1

Update: Perlite in St Pete

eaglejohn1
13 years ago

Updating question I had a while back on getting perlite at a reasonable price around st pete.

Garden & Hardware Distributors 13195 49th street(around 49th street and Ulmerton).

Perlite 12.80

Vermiculite 13.65

Also bought fertilizer. Are these good prices?

Water soluable 25# 10-30-20 31.80

Water soluable 25# 24-8-16 23.30

50# slow release 4 month plant a kote 14-14-14 63.55

Only open Mon-Fri

john

Comments (18)

• amberroses
    13 years ago

What size was the perlite?

• eaglejohn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

perlite and vermiculite in the big 4 cubic feet brown bags

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Hi John,

That's the best price for perlite I've seen here in Pinellas, it was Coarse perlite, right?

I'm just pricing fertilizer now, have not bought any for three years but I'm almost out now. Who's CRF is that, Helena Chemical?

Tom

• eaglejohn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Perlite - No mention on bag but looks coarse.
    Xcalibur slow release planta cote. Out of South Caroline
    soluble is Southern Ag out of palmetto.

they can pretty much order whatever you need. Orders come in on thursdays late.

I called helena in tampa and they don't sell from there, only distribution center. Went to Palmetto and they don't sell either. Called Sarasota (main office) and they will sell direct with 40 bag minimum. Little more than I need.
    Saw some florikam(dynamite in retail stores) at garden supply (helena distributes).

Going back tomorrow for more perlite and to checkout some other stuff. They also sell cases of pots, trays, etc.

john

• tomncath
    13 years ago

I like the Nutricote Total 180 by Florikan and you can buy it direct from them at their Sarasota facility but it's getting pricy now so I'm looking for a replacement. I went to Helena in Tampa and they will set me up an account and I can buy individual bags that will be shipped to the Tampa office, but this place you're talking about is so close for me I'll definitely check it out. I am concerned though that the perlite bags don't state "Coarse" or "Agricultural", if it's the small stuff they put in concrete you can get it for that price in many places, and it really does us no good.

Tom

• amberroses
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info. I picked up some perlite today. I think I now have all I will need for the rest of my life. It looked like the perlite I have purchase in the little bags. I did get a scare when I saw a portion of the back of the bag and I thought it said "Safety Warning-This bag contains asbestos" but I couldn't see the "no asbestos" The people were also very nice there.

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Amber, it's vermiculte that MAY contain some asbestos, depending on where it was mined from. There's no asbestos in perlite.

I can't wait to visit this place, tomorrow after work is my day :-) Any chance they had pine fines?

Tom

• amberroses
    13 years ago

Yeah, I know about the vermiculte and asbestos, but I was thrown off by the safety warning that said it was safe :) Don't warn me if something IS safe. It confused my brain for a minute.

I don't know exactly what they have. There is a very tiny display area and a huge warehouse in the back. Call and make sure they are open before you go because I think they have limited open hours.

• gardengimp
    13 years ago

Amber, I bought a huge bag of that perlite in California when I was working on some built in planter boxes. Like you, I swore I would be swimming in perlite for the rest of my life. Moved that bag back here to FL with us, now it is all gone AND I CAN'T FIND the big bags locally or able to be ordered locally. grrrrr

~dianne

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Dianne, you should be able to get it from ProSource One in Apopka, but if not and you're going to Silvia's get-together I can bring you a 4CF bag if she can't put you on to a source over there. Silvia does make Al's mix though so I'm sure she has a source....

Tom

• whgille
    13 years ago

Dianne, try your local Ace store, they always order for me.

Silvia

• saldut
    13 years ago

I got the big-bag of perlite at Neeld-Gordon Feed, here in downtown St Pete, 13 Ave No. abt. 19 st., just east of the overpass on the so. side of 13 ave. No. I think it was abt. $12. saves a long drive to Ulmerton if you are in downtown St Pete..... he also carries Black Hen and Alfalfa and other stuff not carried by HD, also it is an olde-fashioned feed store with a pot-bellied stove and chickens ! worth the trip just to see the store..... sally

• amberroses
    13 years ago

The guy that owns Neeld-Gordon Feed is also super nice and the store reminds me of the old fashioned stores back home in Ohio. The ones that are probably out of business by now :(

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

Dianne, are you in Orlando area? I've heard that Palmer Feed Store on Church Street has it for a good price. I will be going there soon

• gardengimp
    13 years ago

Yes, I'm in the Orlando area; Lake Mary. I usually go to the feed store in Sanford which is really cool; an old railway loading building; like turn of the century old. I just love going there. For some reason, they can not order perlite for me. Nor can Lowes or HD. I didn't even think to try Ace. I love visiting feed stores, so let me know if they have it Julia.

Thank you all for the tips; should have asked here first; eh?

~dianne

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Went by today and bought a bag of Plant A Cote 120 day CRF with the minors in it for $63/50lbs. Not only do they also have the best price on 4CF bags of perlite, they also have 3.8 & 5CF bales of compressed peat, and 2CF bags of PINE FINES!!!! This is the first place in Pinellas County I've seen that has the fines we need to make Al's mix.

Can you say ONE STOP shopping :-)

Thanks John, you've done good by all of us here in Pinellas County.

Tom

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

Tom what is Plant A Cote 120?

Dianne Palmer Feed did have ONE bag of 4 cu ft of Perlite for $15.90. I didn't get it for several reasons, but if you go there I would call first to make sure they have it. I did get a bale of peat, cheaper than I've seen before and the small bag of perlite.

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Tom what is Plant A Cote 120?

It's a prilled bead controlled release fertilizer (CRF) with the minor elements included in it in addition to the NPK, and designed to last 120 days. Prilled CRF beads are much less likely to flash-release too much fertilizer when it rains.

Tom