Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's not a hard freeze, but...

Posted by Leekle2ManE Lady Lake, FL 9a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 8:31

Tomorrow night's low (for central Florida): 35F - 37F (Weather.com - Weather Underground)

Someone I talked to recently had an interesting observation:
"It's like the months have shifted. January was more like December, February was more like January and March has been more like February."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's not a hard freeze, but...

It's rather crazy to think that I have to protect my tomatoes at the end of March, but we have forcast to 42 tomorrow night. So frost is certainly possible for me. This is insane. It was 87 over the weekend. LOL.

o

Might be 33 here. I just planted out a bunch of plumerias grrrr.

o

Yup...here we go again!! I heard on the news this March is the coldest March since 1996...17 years ago! Of course I can't remember that far back,lol...I can't even remember what I had for breakfast yesterday :o)

Good luck...hope it will be windy to keep the frost at bay...

I'm suppose to be between 37 to 41 degrees for 4 nights :o(

Looking forward to the cooler days..though I would have been fine without the mid to upper 30's in the forecast...guess I'll try and enjoy it, knowing what lies ahead in the next 9 months. I just hope all the plants make it fine...

o

That darn global warming:)

o

I noticed there's a Freeze Watch for tomorrow morning for some counties north of Tampa...Levy, Citrus and Hernando to name a few...

Good luck!

o

I'll probably have frost tonight. I am soo sick of putting on and taking off frost cloths. Squash and tomatoes are in bloom. What do you want to bet, next week we'll be in the upper 80's again. My last planting of cole crops don't know what to do. They are having hot and cold flashes like me!

o

Yes, it sucks - why, in just 10 days or so , its expected to hit almost 90

o

They upgraded mine to
Frost Advisory from Wed, 4am until Wed, 10am EDT
:o(

o

Woke up this morning (okay, I lied, I'm still trying to wake up) and checked the thermometer. 39F with a low of 37F. So, not as bad as I was afraid of but still colder than I would have hoped for. But looking at Weather Underground and all the temperatures being reported around me. Apparently I just narrowly escaped the real dip. Just 20-30 minutes north of me they hit 29F-30F. I hope those of you north of me didn't get hit too hard.

o

33 here at the moment

o

38.3 the low here - and enough of a breeze that there is no frost.

o

Yes, it sucks - why, in just 10 days or so , its expected to hit almost 90

o

Most of my stuff looks pretty good and I didn't cover anything. There is a few things near the front of the greenhouse that look a little wilty like some baby moonflower seedlings. Both the white and the lavender ones look wilty but not the morning glories next to them lol. They will make it though.

o

This weather does have everything topsy turvy

o

The weather today has been awesome since about 10am. It's hard to believe that they're still predicting that it will drop back down to the upper 30's tonight. I suppose I should go protect my tomatoes... *sigh*

o

Dawn! I love your pots-a-jumble-thing! Too cool!

I was amazed that here in Seminole County my thermometer didn't go below 41.
I slept with the bed under the windows waiting for it to get cold enough to close them (I had just painted the bedroom and was airing it out) but it stayed quite comfortable til morning.

I think I'll do that again tonight. . .

o

35F with a low of 33F and I didn't do anything to protect my key lime. I hope I didn't just lose all the fruit and flowers that were covering it.

o

35 degrees here this morning with some frost. Should be the last of it...hopefully!

o

It went down to 48 degrees in my area on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, but it was the wind that had me worried about my recently planted mango, mandarin and lychee trees. Seem to be okay, thankfully. Back up to 54 degrees this morning, and no wind. Will give them a drink after I get back from my workout at the Y.

o

Yeah, I just took the dogs out and noticed the entire shaded area around where my Key Lime sits is coated in frost. The only up-side is that the pot is sitting in spot where it got hit by the sun as soon as it crested the horizon and in that area the frost has already dissipated. I will be watching it today, but I have a feeling I'm going to be seeing the leaves go limp as the day progresses and we go from cold to warm in a rather short period of time.

o

Wednesday 32 with frost. This am 35 with more frost. I hate to see what my veggies look like when I uncover them this afternoon.

o

I was surprised as well, here in Seminole. Usually it gets just as cold or a degree colder than projected. This time itI was actually a bit warmer. I did cover the Sobralia Orchids just to be safe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here