Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants that attract beneficial insects

Posted by teka2rjleffel z10FL (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 10, 10 at 8:52

I've gradually become a convert to organics. I wish I could say it's because I'm a good person. It is because my roses and many of my other plants really respond better to organic fertilizer. This summer since my roses are icky in the heat of summer due to thrips I'm going to try to use only organic fungicides and pesticides (if at all) and try to attract the good guy insects and birds. I have recently had an infestation of aphids, something that isn't usually a problem here and have noticed little birds and small wasps eating them. I'm hoping that they stay. What plants do you have that attract the good guys especially if you have thrip problems. Thanks so much.
Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants that attract beneficial insects

Others will no doubt give better advice but I use sunflowers and nasturtiums to lure aphids and beetles away from my other plants. The predatory insects usually just find their way to the buffet at that point. Last year I used mint and chamomile because their said to attract predatory wasps. This year I'll add Dill and parsley, said to accomplish the same along with hoverflies.

o

I could probably give you a list a mile long but the easiest and best thing to do for you is to simply do a Google search using "beneficial insects" or "companion plantings" and spend as much time as you want reading. I just did another short search yesterday and one site I read is this one. Scroll down to the bottom list.
http://ourgardengang.tripod.com/companions.htm

o

Here's what works well here in coastal St. Pete: when my dill, fennel, & Asian mustards/cabbages flower & go to seed,they attract lots of aphids, & the ladybugs, hoverflies & lacewings soon follow & lay their eggs. IMPE, a plant w/ multitudes of aphids is a must to feed all those hungry larvae.

Another that seems a good 'nursery' plant for those beneficials is the orange milkweed that everyone grows for the Monarch butterflies.

HTH

o
UF link

According to Sally Scalera at UF , herbs allowed to flower are big insect attractors .
Examples are dill , coriander , basil , fennel , garlic chives, yarrow and many others listed in this link .

Dr. Russ Mizelle feels that the crape myrtle is the most important woody plant for attracting insects .
Aphids specific to crapes draw 13 different species of beneficial predatory insects .

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants That Attract Beneficial Insects

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here