Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Lowes now carries Monrovia Plants

Wow, I did a double-take... Lowes now carries some Monrovia plants. Not all plants were Monrovia, but some groups of plants, like the Harmony New Guinea Impatiens, were in Monrovia pots with Monrovia tags (not the traditional cardboard, 2-page folded Monrovia hang tag, but a plastic slide-in-the-soil tag). Is this a good thing? I'm not sure. I've never seen Monrovia except at privately-owned, upscale nurseries. Hmmm. I wonder how damaging this will be to those nursery owners.

Carol in Jacksonville

Comments (6)

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

The Lowes here in Lady Lake has had Monrovia for at least two years I think, at least I seem to recall seeing the brand there when I first started this obsession. I can not say I have been overly impressed with what I've seen in that section and tend to find better deals on other tables.

That said, I am not too worried about how it affects my local nurseries. Because of their proximity to a certain 'retirement' community, all the local nurseries charge exorbitant amounts because the residents of the unnamed community will pay it. I recently revisited one that I had been initially impressed with and found they had increased prices on some plants I had previously been interested in by as much as 200+%, almost 300% in some cases. The reason for the price increase? Snowbirds were here and they would pay these stupid prices for the sake of having something green for four-five months. I even found a thin iron trellis they had marked at $79 for $12 at another store... same brand, same style. The only difference was the one at the nursery was rusting.

Two others in the area are similarly outrageously priced and the owner of one actually told me that I did not want a Firebush, even though that was precisely what I was looking for. I'm sure there are better nurseries elsewhere that don't gouge their clients, but the local ones have put a bit of contempt into me.

• mosketo
    10 years ago

I have also just recently noticed the monrovia selections at my local Lowes in Hattiesburg, MS. What's even better?! Some of the plants have already made it to the clearance carts! I scored on some beautiful Monrovia New Guinea Impatiens yesterday for $1 each. I usually stop by once a week to browse the clearance plants and find great deals all the time, so I'm hoping to find a few more of the Monrovia plants at unbeatable prices. Even though I would much rather support a small local business, i simply refuse to pay 3-4x as much for plants of the same quality.

• User
    10 years ago

Picked up a "birds nest anthurium " Monrovia at deland lowes....pricey, but glad to see some variety.........

• leahrenee1
    10 years ago

Our lowes has some beautiful Monrovia stuff but it is really pricey, I usually do better with going to a local nursery. I will be excited if I find any of it on the "sad plant rack" though.

• beachlily z9a
    10 years ago

Mark, you will love that anthurium. I just got back from Lowe's and did see one on the shelf. I purchased mine at Garden Arts in NSB. Moved it from an 8" pot to a 20" pot and looking forward to seeing what happens!!

• User
    10 years ago

Has a nice home now.....thx. Like the variety at Lowes, hit it weekly ......