Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
not hummers :)

Posted by marcia_pa5 PA5_FL9b S.SarasotaC (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 12 at 9:09

Apparently there was a bit of road kill in front of our house yesterday. Just enough for 3 turkey vultures to show up. I couldn't get a photo of all three, but these stuck around. Honestly, there wasn't enough food for one of them and now it's just a little grease spot on the road. They certainly do their 'job' well. (Hope this didn't upset your tummy!)
Marcia

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: not hummers :)

Good photos. We have lots of those that patrol the woods around here. They sure do a good job of keeping things cleaned up. Last spring, we had several juveniles that would sit up in the tall pines above the chicken runs giving them the evil eye. They have never bothered live birds here but the poultry sure get freaked out about them being there lol.

o

They nest in the woods behind us this time of year. I don't blame the chickens--it's very disconcerting to come home and find a bunch of vultures staring down at you from the roof. :^)

o

Thank God we have them, they clean the messes up. There were a bunch of them roosting in a tree next to the road near us once, (roadkill just off the road) and I was walking toward them, as I got closer I noticed they were watching me and they started making this "oof, oof" sound. I got really creeped out and turned around and went home.

o

I live in a very residential, suburban neighborhood. I was just now horrified to find a half eaten, large fish between one of my new camellias and the house! This fish was over a foot long and most of the inside was chewed out, but the head, spine and tail were all still intact. The fish was not hidden behind thick shrubbery - this big ol' dead fish was easily seen from the yard! The camellia is quite small and was planted three feet out from the house, so there was no privacy for any animal in that space. So, WHAT PUT THAT THERE?!?! It was GROSS! I picked it up with a shovel - it had rigor mortis - and threw it in the woods. Ugh, ugh, ughhhhhhh!

Carol

o

I thought it was hilarious when on our trip south last year we passed a large road sign along the interstate with the greeting "Welcome to Atlanta." There were vultures roosting along the whole top of the sign! Some welcome :)
Marcia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here