Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pictures; Lychee Blossoms, Mater Plants, etc.

Posted by loufloralcityz9 Z 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 21, 11 at 9:22

Lychee Blossoms
Photobucket

Young Lychee Tree
Photobucket

New Lychee trees from seed
Photobucket

Tomatoes Planted
Photobucket

Tomatoes Left To Plant
Photobucket

Cannas in Pots
Photobucket

Agapanthus in Pots
Photobucket

EB Tub of Garlic
Photobucket

Baby Citrus
Photobucket

Baby Peach
Photobucket

Out of focus; Double Peach Fruit
Photobucket

Still picking Sweetpeas
Photobucket

Different Trees in Greenhouse tent area
Photobucket

These are Pictures of some of my planting and growing activities this spring.

Lou

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pictures; Lychee Blossoms, Mater Plants, etc.

Looks good Lou. There's a nice variety of things to eat. Boy you have a lot of potting soil to haul around. It's a good thing you have your new cart.

o

Looks good Lou.

o

great shots! I planted some lychees from fruit I ate last year, too. How many years does it take to get fruit?
Lori

o

Lori,
Do you really want the bad news on the years it takes for a Lychee grown from seed to fruit? I've heard 5 - 10 years if you use good irrigation, nutritional and cultural practices and much longer if you don't. I have so far only been able to get fruit from my air-layered trees but air layered trees do not have a tap root and I wanted to plant trees out on my property that could withstand the windy weather here.

Lou

o

sounds difficult and need lotta patience to grow lychees that'll fruit uh?

o

Lou - when you posted to my lychee post the other day I meant to ask but forgot...will lychees grow big enough to fruit if grown in a container?

o

Bill,
All my Lychee trees are in containers and 5 of the 7 trees are in blossoms right now, of the 2 trees not blossoming, one is still too young.(the second picture) The other tree got totally freeze burnt again this winter and I'm still waiting for it to show life.(I have to wait for the flush)
Lychee trees need the cold to send out blossom branches but they cannot take freezing so it gets hairy when to keep them outdoors overnight and when to bring them in the greenhouse. So this winter I put four of them in the temporary tent greenhouse for the whole winter with the heater set to 35F. I had two trees outdoors still doing it the old way just in case my new idea of the temporary tent didn't work.(the tent limits sunshine)
One tree is making bloom branches even though it was freeze burnt lightly, and looks like yours, the other tree got hit hard with the freeze due to the location I put it.
Every two years I remove the tree from the container and dress the roots and replant in new potting soil.(sometimes the roots call for a larger pot upgrade) This is done in July or just after the fruit is picked and the tree is pruned at this time.

Lou

o

Looks like you get a lot of mileage out of your greenhouse, Lou!

o

pnbrown,

I have 6 greenhouses, three are 6'x 8' tent types, two are 12'x 26' hoop tent types, and one is the 10'x 12' poly-panel type from harbor freight and I also have my 40'x 50' screened-greenhouse garden/pool area.

Lou

o

Speaking of pools, my folks just bought a place lakefront which also has a pool. The lake, about 160 acres, certainly keeps winter nights a couple of degrees warmer than otherwise, and your thread just made me think about the pool. It is screened, which doesn't give any frost protection, but I wonder how much protection comes from having potted plants right around the edge? Unfortunately the pool is on the north side of the house (good for summer), so when the sun is low the water volume isn't picking up much solar gain.

o

They need to install solar water heater panels to heat up the pool water with free solar.
Mine are 2' wide and 20' long and the pool pump runs the water through it.
I get at least a 10 degree rise over ambient from two panels.
What is nice in summer you can run it at night and cool the pool water by radiational cooling from the same panels.
It makes the pool functional as early as March on warm days and as late as November.

o

A picture of the Lychee blossoms turning into little bitty lychee's as time progresses.
You will have to look close to see the many teeny round fruits forming.
Photobucket
The Lychee blossom branches have both the male & female flowers crammed in together on the same branches.

Lou

o

Lou, Congrats on your lychee blooms...I love lychee, hopefully I'll see them on my newly planted tree next Spring, assuming the freeze doesn't kill it!
Enjoy...

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 27, 11 at 8:55

Looking good Lou, how old this that plant in your last picture? How old was it when it first started bearing fruit?

Tom

o

Tom,
It came from an air layered branch off another producing lychee tree. The second year after potting it up it made a few fruit. This spring (last picture) is this trees fourth fruiting season. You can see in the first picture my other lychee trees in the background are also fruiting. If you air layer a branch that has produced fruit, It's very quick for the newly potted branch to fruit up again in it's own pot. The young tree in the second photo is the first full year in it's own pot after air layering with a new flush of leaves showing, I should get a few fruit on it next year if I get the timing right when I prune it. All my lychee trees are grown in pots due to the cold temperatures I get here. I have a few different varieties, Brewster, Sweetheart, Emperor, Mauritius, Haak Yip, and Kaimana (some are from seed). Air layering is fairly easy to do to build up a number of fruiting lychee trees from your existing trees. By air layering and/or pruning just after fruiting, I keep my potted lychee trees fairly short, around 5'to 8' and easy to handle as I move them around during the seasons.

Lou

o

lovely!! My lychee I think Mauritius is in a container and bloomed for the first time this year, I hope I get fruit!!!

how often do you fertilize your lychees? and do you use any special kind of fertilizer?

o

I use Mycorrhizal Fungi mixed into the potting soil and a 4-10-3 liquid tree fertilizer (like Fertilome Root Stimulator) that I add to my own compost tea & worm casting tea mixture and I time the applications to the natural lychee tree growth flushes.

Lou

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 7:07

Wow Lou, you really have this down....

Tom

o

Cool idea, Lou, thanks. Those panels can be out on the lawn someplace, and if roughly level with the pump should cost very little in extra electricity I should think?

o

Tom,
Thanks, I try to do my best in researching how to grow them as I really love the taste of the lychee fruit.

Thank You for the everglade tomato seeds, they just broke through the potting surface.
I still cannot figure out why my saved everglade seeds wouldn't germinate this year.
(I screwed up somehow when saving the seeds)

Lou

o

Lou, how old are those agapanthus plants? Did you germinate those seeds in 2011? Using 2010 seed? They look great!

I haven't had that much luck in the past but I'm going to give it another try.

Carol

o

Carol,
I start a few flower seeds in pots kinda willy-nilly as the mood hits me during hot part of the summer when I can't plant veggies, pop in a label, and pretty much forget about it except to water as I do my watering rounds. I never put the date planted, but they had to be sown last year sometime, as this spring I just separated the bunch that sprung up in the pot. I found these had sprouted and survived in my greenhouse as I was checking the pots in there during my winter/spring cleaning. I gave them all individual pots.

I buy a lot of my flower seeds online as additions to other seeds I'm actually searching for, most places don't charge any extra for shipping when I add in a different seed packet or two. The freezer in the refrigerator I use for my chicken eggs, I use that for keeping my seeds fresh. Then during the summer I'll grab a flower seed packet or two and plant them in pots. I have ten acres so there's always room for plant additions.

Lou

o

lou, just wondering, how did you came about adding Mycorrhizal Fungi andd Fertilome Root Stimulator into lychee trees' soil? Do you think you can get more fruits by adding these? You ever put any fruit fertilizer into your lychee?

o

Charleslou23,
There are special relationships of the different Mycorrhizal Fungi and plants that works to release the specific nutrients plants need. I use Fertilome because it more closely resembles what that plant needs and it is liquid (easily mixed with the water).
I don't use a fruit fertilizer as it is formulated too general so the manufacturers can claim it feeds all fruiting plants and the unused salts can build up in the soil. It's not a matter of getting more fruit, it's a matter of keeping the plant healthy so it will fruit.

Lou

o

I can locate the Fertilome root stimulator locally, but Mycorrhizal Fungi is a bit tough, what particular brand you use for that?

do you think these will not only make the root stronger, but also the branches? I'm having some newly grown pea size lychee fruits falling mysteriously, and wonder if these supplements you're using might cure that problem or lessen the premature fruit drop?
Or maybe just cause it's been a bit windy lately here in my area...

o

actually i'd imagine there's a product out there that contain MF and also works as a root stimulator?

o

Charleslou,

This site has the correct Mycorrhizal Fungi for Lychee but you will have to special order it from them as they seem to be out of MycoStim right now.
This site also has great information on growing Lychee at home... look through the site.

Lou

Here is a link that might be useful: Lychee

o

loufloral,

I understand that sometimes it might even take 25 years for a lychee tree from seed to fruit. Since you have plentiful fresh seeds, I would plant all of them for the rootstocks, and graft scions in the winter from your already known fruiting tree. In that way you will get fruit earlier.Most lychee trees are done by air layering, however, there is information on line on how to successful graft lychee trees from scion. I live in Riverside, therefore, if you end up with too many, I will gladly take them.

o

Lou...what type of potting mix (list of ingredients and how much) if you don't mind sharing do you have your potted Lychee trees growing in? Thanks!!

Did they fruit again this year?

My one year old Lychee that I planted in the ground survived this winter but unfortunately did NOT fruit...just new growths this year. I think we were above normal and didn't have enough chilling hours to push out blooms...even though we had 3 nights of below freezing this January.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here