Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zone9bmelbournebeachfl

Dwarf Cavendish banana

I was given two Dwarf Cavendish banana plugs at a Disney Gardening at Home demonstration yesterday. I'm trying to decide what to do with them. I don't want to waste space on a banana that will taste just like what I can buy in the Publix. Has anyone grown Dwarf Cavendish? How do you like it?

Comments (12)

• abendwolke
    15 years ago

I have them and I like them. Smaller fruit (than the store bought ones) sweet and flavorful. But the best is to grow it, taste it and decide then if you want to keep or not.

:)

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    15 years ago

so... i bought a 'dwarf' cavendish a couple years ago at the deland plante fair. i'm not really complainin' here, but, i had THOUGHT dwarf referred to the plant. turns out, at least in the case of the banana i bought, it refers to the fruit. it's actually been one of the most reliable bananas in my garden, producing tons of fruit every second year, even tho it's in semi-shade. but it's, like, 20' tall.

anyway, caveat emptor.

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    15 years ago

Michael ~ Dwarf Cavendish only grow about 5 feet tall and the bananas are almost the size of store bought bananas. Sorry to say that the taste is the same. That's why I don't grow them anymore. (I like some sub-acid tang flavor in my bananas.) They are a hardy, good grower. I do recommend them.

You obviously didn't get the variety that you were told. Good thing you like the variety that you got.

Christine

• babalu_aye
    15 years ago

We're enjoying our first harvest of dwarf cavendish bananas here at my house. The plant is about 5 ft tall. Though the fruit are about 1/2 the size of a grocery store banana, the flavor is similar.

This plant was not fazed by the cold weather during January, while the apple banana planted near it is dead as a doornail. That was a big disappointment because I was really looking forward to the superior flavor of the apple bananas. But it appears the dwarf cavendish is much more hardy in zone 9b.

John

• sumala
    15 years ago

ill-mann, you may have bested me with your dwarf. Mine regularly get to be 12-15 feet tall, (measuring to the top of the tallest leaf) and like yours, the flavor is great.

Me and my dwarves...

It's an old photo but after they recover from this years cold weather, they will look the same. By the way, I am 6'2" tall.

• whgille
    15 years ago

Sumala
    You have some beautiful bananas growing. It looks like you are in a tropical paradise! :o)

Michael
    You might have a variety called "Little gold" or "Nino", very sweet, one of my favorites after sampling hundreds of bananas in the banana plantations.
    Very hardy, resistant to diseases.

Silvia

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Great shot, sumala, made me grin.

Just in case you aren't familiar with Bananas.org, its a cool international forum for anyone interested in bananas. I'm not affiliated with the forum, other than having joined it after I decided to plant some banana plants again.

• maggiepearl
    15 years ago

Those are some beautiful bananas! Mine are always kind of ratty looking. Wind blown and brown. Sumala, please, give me some Banana cultivating tips. Mine came with house (16 years ago)and have been frozen and flattened (by Charley)but always pop back. We occasionally get fruit--they are the apple type--absolutely delicious--but it has a tendency to split.

• sobegardener
    15 years ago

I love Dwarf Cavendish banana and I am the mama of this two babies ready for my family enjoyment soon !all this in the middle of South Beach By the way I have few plants to give away (look at the bottom of the pictures) or check my Flickr page for pictures.
    Emily
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thesobegardener/

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr

• BellaViolet
    9 years ago

Do any one know where can I get apple banana and little gold seeds here in Orlando?

• BellaViolet
    9 years ago

Do any one know where can I get apple banana and little gold seeds here in Orlando?

• timetraveler zone 9b Melbourne Beach, Florida
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BellaViolet, I have apple banana growing in my yard. I don't have any seeds, but the plant puts out pups now and then. If you're coming to my area, I would be happy to dig one up for you. I don't think that they would survive shipment this time of the year. email me from my page.