Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sk8vonfixess

Moving to Melbourne area?

sk8vonfixess
11 years ago

I was wondering if Melbourne beach has nice teens, adults and is a good place to move. How cold does it get? (do coconut palms exist) lol.

if melbourne beach isnt the best choice where is a good place in the melbourne area or south of melbourne?

Comments (5)

• zzackey
    11 years ago

Last I knew it was a great place to live. I had a good friend that lived in that area. Not sure about coconut palms. Lots of other palm trees grew there. I lived in Vero Beach area. You can grow alot of nice tropicals there. I really miss it, but we had to move. Great beaches. Lots of good fishing and all kinds of stores on the main land. I haven't been there since 2006. She lived in Floridana Beach. They had a private beach.

• 3.2Whites
    11 years ago

There are coconut palms at Patrick Air Force base just a little bit north....(probably more to be found....it's just these I know for sure have been there for a while).

• silverbells
    11 years ago

Melbourne Beach is a great place, I moved here from South Florida to raise my family. Theres plenty of teens, their usually surfing and fishing like most adults. I have 6 Full grown drunken coconut palms on my property. There is also 3 or 4 gardening clubs that meet monthly and a weekly farmers market. It is a close knit community where most businesses are closed on Sundays, not much trouble for people to get into considering it can be a 20 minute drive into the main Melbourne area and the police here crack down on anyone hitting 15 miles above the speed limit.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

So what is a drunk coconut palm? Hmmm... see third photo from the top.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: drunk coconut tree

• surfsnook
    11 years ago

We moved to Melbourne Beach 11 years ago from a small, close-knit, wholesome town in Utah. We thought Florida's busy East Coast would have nothing similar, but we have been pleasantly surprised with Melbourne Beach. Locals say it is where Opie's Mayberry meets Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville. Melbourne High and Brevard Community College have both given our kids an intelligent, happy education. A typical street scene in Melbourne Beach is joggers, dog walkers, bike riders, and folks carrying surf rods and surf boards across A1A to the beach. Before I moved here I thought surfers were like biker gangs, but stupid me....they are peaceful, outdoorsy, one-with-nature, and very friendly to this non-surfer. Gardening is great here with bright colors blooming in shade or sun, winter or summer....first thing I do when I get home from work and climb out of the car, is visit my flowers before heading in the front door. I could go on and on...what's not to say about a beautiful island 2 miles out in the Atlantic Ocean, where you can walk to the Indian River or beach in minutes, and where your neighbors are dolphin, sea turtles, manatees, osprey, bobcats, bunny rabbits, and an amazing variety of fish, birds and other critters. Melbourne Beach technically runs for about 3 miles starting just south of the 192/ Melbourne Causeway, and then gives way to 14 miles of county land heading south to Sebastian Inlet that is also called Melbourne Beach. It is all a treasure and we are lucky to be here!

This post was edited by surfsnook on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 15:49