Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wanda9fl

Should I pull the fruit?

wanda9fl
12 years ago

I planted a mango and avocado tree last year. Neither one has been in the ground for a year. Both are sprouting flowers like they plan to fruit and are about 3-4 feet tall.

I thought I read somewhere that the first year you should pull the fruit from the tree before it matures so as not to stress the tree? Is that true?

Or do I let it go and plan on enjoying them?

Comments (9)

• loufloralcityz9
    12 years ago

I just let them go because the young mango and avocado trees will cast their fruit if they try to make too many. What you read was advise for new peach trees, not mango and avocado trees.

• JenPeteFL
    12 years ago

Semi-related question... I want to plant some fruit trees, but I don't know which trees require you to plant at least two of the same (related) kind in order to produce fruit. Avocado trees are on my list. Can I plant just one avocado tree and it bear fruit? What about pomegranate and papaya?

• wanda9fl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Lou. I'll leave them alone and see what happens.

• c9pilot
    12 years ago

Jene advised me to pull the fruit the first year, and if you can stand it, the second year (with very young trees), so that the energy will go towards developing the tree rather than to set the fruit. A stronger tree will end up yielding more fruit in the long run.

• billbrandi
    12 years ago

JenPeteFL - an avocado will bear alone if it is grafted; I have a Brogdon in the back yard that has produced 5 years running without a companion. Papaya trees come in male and female-you need at least one of each although one male can pollinate several females. Before you buy check with the seller to make sure.

Lastly, you need bees, lots of them!!! A few weeks ago my back yard was filled with bees; the little guys were working overtime.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hi Wanda, I've also heard and read that you should not let a mango tree fruit on the first year because fruiting uses a lot of energy and it should be used to let the tree grow roots and new growths. Having said that, I don't blame you one bit if you let one or two make it to maturity. Its SO hard to listen to that advise...but I think it is best for the tree's health if you can wait till at least next year...just my 2 cents.

Below is a great link on growing mango trees.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a great link(Fairchild's) about Mango trees...

• wanda9fl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, C9 and pug! Let's see how it looks once it starts fruiting. I really don't think it's size can even handle one mango growing on it. It would probably break the branch. But it sure is nice to see it flowering. I had a mango tree down south and the mangoes were amazing! That tree was coveted by everyone. So I want this one to really have a good head start.

Pug, that's a really good link. it gives alot of good info.

• leelee_2008
    12 years ago

I let the tree decide. Last year my young container grown mango tree put out had dozens of baby mangos but in the end only 6 came to maturity (best mangos I've ever had..lol) The tree shed all the rest by itself.

another young container mango tree didn't have any baby mangos just lots of blossom, this year I have about dozen babies, so I'll probably end up with 1 or 2 if I'm lucky.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

You're welcome Wanda! I really like that link, I think its great for growing mangoes especially for us that are pushing the zone limit a little, keeping it small (on the dwarf size) makes it easier to protect in winter and pick the fruits in summer (if they survive the freeze that it)! BTW, what variety did you plant?

Hi Leelee, what varieties are you growing in Containers? I have 2 in containers and a few planted in the ground.Good luck with your fruits.