Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bugbite_gw

Sparkler Guara - New winner of the AAS and Fleurselects Awards 2

bugbite
10 years ago

Ordered 200 Sparkle guara seeds from Geoseed (great price) at the end of August. Primarily because they are supposed to be more dwarf. Planted 200 seeds first of September.
150 germinated. Beautiful plants. Very first bloom was Feb 22.
Withstood freezes without covering (they tolerate 0 degrees and high temperatures, being from north Texas and Oklahoma.
Guaras are one of my garden favorites. They are supposed to be perennials, which I did not know. Pulled a lot after their long performance season. :-(
I get a lot of compliments on my guaras because the stems of flowers bounce in the air when bees land.
It has been about 7 years since I actually bought a plant, all are now volunteers except this new group from seed. I had many that were very, very special but always pull them after their long performance, not knowing how easy they were to propagate. Last season I had an 8 foot plant. Thought I would try to multiple the plant. So I snipped the little shoots at the end of the season (November) and planted them. Everyone took and are now plants.
I bring this up because I can pick the very best plants out of these 150 plants from seeds and easily multiple the best, hopefully.
I used to buy tons of seeds to experiment. No more. After this season it will be only MANAGING various volunteers and propagating these guara. An example of volunteers are over 200 petunia volunteers this year, all which had to be moved around.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sparkle guara

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?