manature

Look What We Did This Weekend!

manature
16 years ago

First we did this:

Then we did this:

And finally we ended up with this:

Another view:

I have wanted an Ali Baba fountain by our entryway since the day we moved into this house, nearly four years ago. The big blue urn (which I got at a garage sale for $9!!!!) has been sitting in this spot, just waiting!

Last weekend, we decided to build it for our 22nd anniversary present to each other. Mark ran the electrical wiring through the wall from my art studio to the outside last Saturday.

This past Saturday, we started. Because we weren't using a kit (which nicely comes with all parts that fit properly), we had to improvise. Mark is very good at fabrication. I did buy a new tub to go into the ground, so that was Step 1. Digging a LEVEL hole for the tub.

Step 2 was to fabricate a grating that would be sturdy enough to hold the weight of a very large, heavy ceramic urn filled with water. We ended up using a left over white wire shelf from a closet. Mark cut it to fit the top of the tub, and then we added a layer of mesh to help keep smaller rocks from falling through.

Step 3 was to put the pump inside the tub (Home Depot, $35) and run copper tubing up through the hole in the urn. Mark didn't want to seal the hole with silicon, preferring a "mechanical" seal that can be retightened if he ever needs to get into the tub, move the urn for something, etc. He spent some time with fittings and gaskets, etc, to fabricate that. Then he had the pipes in place, running from the pump to the inside of the urn. (Inside the urn, he just used a short piece of PVC pipe. It doesn't show.)

Step 4, sit the urn in place and adjust any flow issues. The water has to weep down the sides of the urn and return to the tub. If any sprays outside of that circle, it will drain the container dry and burn up the pump.

Step 5, cover the grating with decorative rocks, and VOILA! A never emtpying Ali Baba jug of water outside my door. I was expecting it to be a visual focal point, but I was surprised at how nice it sounds, too. I had thought it wouldn't make much noise, since there's no real splashing like from a fountain into a pond, but I was wrong. It sounds great!

If you would like one of these but don't have the time, patience or skill to do the fabricating part, you can buy kits that contain the urn, pump, tub, grating, and piping. I saw some at Home Depot last year that look very nice, though they were not as large as ours. They ran about $80.

Hope it gives you some ideas. Will share more pictures as the plants mature around this.

Marcia

Comments (30)

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

Very nice!! What a nice Anniversary gift... Congratulations, btw :-)

You don't mind if we copy this one, yes?

Evelyn

• wanda9fl
    16 years ago

Wow, Marcia, thanks for sharing the step by step info for the rest of us!

It looks great...just like it was meant to be there.

Happy Anniversary!

• naplesgardener
    16 years ago

Oh I am so envious of your talent in creating that. AND the $9 gorgeous urn? Score!
    Yes I want one and I am "clipping" this post for my future to-do list.
    Thanks so much for the directions.

• manature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, y'all! Evelyn, I would be proud to think this inspired you to create one for your own garden. That's why I included directions on how we did it. NG, I was ecstatic when I found that urn. It would cost anywhere from $75 to $150 at local nurseries. It's BIG and very heavy. And I knew from the moment I bought it (about 6 years ago) that I would someday have a place for a beautiful Ali Baba fountain. I'm so tickled with it, I have to walk outside and stare at it every 15 minutes or so!

Glad you like it!

Marcia

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

Very nice water feature. Simple, yet elegant, and in the perfect location.

• perrisquirrel
    16 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

Never heard it called that. You were busy weekend warriers. Really lovely.
    Your brick remind sme of Paul James the Gardener guy's home.

• manature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Ricky and Perrisquirrel. I'm so proud of it! I'm being ridiculous today...doing everything but going outside to TALK to it! Glad you like it!

Marcia

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    16 years ago

Marcia, Happy anniversary! It looks nice, did a wonderful job.
    Jan

• annafl
    16 years ago

Absolutely lovely and sooooo elegant. Love the plant selection around it too. That fatsia is gorgeous, and the variegated ivy and cordyline are really pretty too. I would be going out to talk to it too!..... Oh, you're so pretty... so pretty....

Congrats on your stunning project....and your 22 years! We're right behind you.

Anna

• barbcoleus
    16 years ago

Happy Anniversary!!!Beautiful reminder of a happy date.

YOu lost me after step 1 so I'd probably go to plan B
    Barb

• manature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again, guys! Goldenpond, that's what it is called in the container water garden books I have, so I call it that, too. Based on the story of the never ending water jug, I believe, featuring Ali Baba. (Perhaps a Scheherezade story?) Anyway, I liked the name, so I stuck with it.

Thanks for the anniversary wishes, everyone! Our actual anniversary is Valentine's Day, but we always try to do something special for our (sort of) "new" home to commemorate it. For our 20th, it was a trellis bench which now has a neglected Climbing Clotilde Soupert growing on it. (Hope our marriage is in better shape than that rose!)

Thanks for noticing the plants, Anna. I wanted to start with some very bright green and chartreuse things in front, to contrast with the bricks. The ivy is a yellow and green variegated, rather than a white & green, so I thought it would work. It should stay low and not obstruct the view, while filling in the ground a bit in front of the fountain. I don't actually have any cordyline, though. The bright green thingie on the left is bird's nest fern, and the purple thingie in the back is a philodendron that I've already forgotten the name of. Good on you for recognizing the fatsia...everyone asks me if it's castor bean! It is just now starting to grow, after two years of looking pretty sad. I hope it won't get too big for the spot, though.

I will soon be tucking in some purple coleus here and there amongst the bright greens, but mine aren't ready yet, and there aren't many in the local nurseries yet, either. Time to place a Rosy Dawn order.

Thanks again, everyone.

Marcia

• strawberrygirlie
    16 years ago

Very nice. :-) I love the look of it.

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

You really did a good job. It looks great. And that urn was a real find. The color is perfect for the garden. Congrats and Happy Anniversary. ;o)

• Bren2
    16 years ago

Very nice! I like that so much, I might try it myself!.
    Happy Anniversary!!
    Brenda

• bihai
    16 years ago

That is so nice! I love that color blue. It looks great next to that philo! You are very creative.

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

LOVE it :)

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Love it! Love it! Love it! This is exactly what I want to do. Nice to know I'll have a consultant when I get ready to put mine in place ;~))

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Gorgeous!!! I *need* one of these - printing out your handy dandy how to, thank you kindly. What a beautiful urn.

• manature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, and thank you, and thank you! If any of you make one, I predict you will love it as much as I love this one! Kate, I can give you pointers, but you'll need Mark to explain the technical issues. I'm the Designer. He's the Builder! (Did you get my email, btw?)

Marcia

• bihai
    16 years ago

Manature, this is kind of what I want to do with the pondless waterfall I want to put in my greenhouse.

I was going to do that exact thing, actually...one of the 30/35 gal liners buried and filled with water, covered with a grate with the pump inside, tubing coming out the side from an opening high up on the side and partially buried, the whole covered with river rocks, and the tubing running up the wall and hidden, to a waterfall which would drop 5-7 feet straight back down to the basin.

I hope to start on it towards the end of the month

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    16 years ago

inspirational!

• FlowerLady6
    16 years ago

Dear Marcia

Love and Best Wishes on your 22nd Anniversary

May your love and happiness continue to grow ever stronger with each day.

What a fantastic, fun way to celebrate you anniversary. Love what you did, and that urn is a wonderful find. What you have created is therapy for all the senses. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration.

FlowerLady

• countrynest
    16 years ago

Marcia,
    I was thinking of you today and of asking you for pictures of your Ali Baba fountain and here are the pictures.
    I know you are happy. It looks great and elegant. A piece of
    art. Give my congrats to Mark. I am sure you will find a place
    for some coleus in that area also.:-) That fern has caught my eyes,it's really a nice one.
    Felix

• manature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bihai, I think pondless waterfalls are really cool, and yes, this is the same principle, exactly. Water flows out from somewhere (the top of the urn, or the top of the waterfall), disappears through rocks into a hidden reservoir, and is circulated back up again, over and over. Good luck with yours, and we want pictures when you are done!

Thank you, Ill. It is the first thing we've (make that I've) gotten done in the garden this year. Everything else is a shambles. BUT...hopefully not for long. The Ali Baba fountain has even inspired ME. Tomorrow, if the weather holds, I plan to weed my rose garden (and see if there are still any roses in there!)

Thank you for your kind wishes and comments, Flowerlady! I appreciate it!

And Felix, mi amigo, I will pass your comments along to Mark. Yes, I plan to pop some purple and dark red coleus in amongst the bright green, here and there. I'm glad you like it!

Marcia

• beth7happy
    16 years ago

Congrats, Marcia!! Great job on both...the marriage (to last that long!) and on this masterpiece. I'm in lust!

• manature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Beth! So glad you like it! I'm really obnoxiously proud of it! Somebody needs to stop me before self-combust!

Marcia

• beth7happy
    16 years ago

oh, go ahead, Marcia!! Just make sure that you can get all the pieces put back together again!! :P (oh..and have the video cameras rolling!!) I love yer Duck, too! he's just great.

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Wow, That's beautiful!
    Elegant and understated beauty.
    I can only imagine the soothing melody of the bubbling trickling water.
    I'm sure birds will be attracted by the sound too!

• manature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That would be really nice, Treefrog, but most of my birds seem to enjoy the backyard more. I hardly see any out front, even though I have large oak trees there. This morning, wonder of wonders, the goldfinches have arrived! I have a flock of maybe 40 to 50 of them flitting everywhere out back. I have seven feeders in my backyard, and every one of them is filled with as many goldfinches as can hang on! They are eating thistle from a thistle sock and another thistle feeder, mixed seed, black oil sunflower seed, and even plain safflower seed. Oh, and they have attacked the fruit, nut & seed cake hanging in a mesh feeder, too. These boys are HUNGRY. But I didn't see a single one in the front yard all morning!

The lizards like drinking water from the rocks under this fountain, though. Hehehe. I spotted one of my black racers Sunday, so I'm watching to see if I can catch him drinking from it, too.

I do plan to have some other water features out back, in addition to the pond we want (someday), so perhaps the birds will use them.

No videos, Beth...you'll just have to use your imagination!
    ;o)

Marcia