Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
opaka

Gardenia Questions

opaka
11 years ago

My husband and I recently moved into a house with a sad-looking gardenia in the front yard. After doing some research, I think the problem is that the landscapers planted it in the corner between the side walk and the front walk! My plan is to try to amend the soil with some hydrangea blue, and give it some half-strength azalea fertilizer regularly throughout the summer. Then, this fall, if it's perked up enough to risk it, transplant it to the back yard, well away from concrete. Anybody see anything wrong with this plan? Any other tips?

Comments (10)

• crueltyfre
    11 years ago

I have never ever transplanted a gardenia and had it live. I've been growing them since early 80's, they're my favorite flower. But over the decades every single time I've moved one, I lost it. So I don't dare move them anymore. Could just be me, I have no clue, lol.
    Lori

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    That's been my experience also lol Another is growing in a pot . Kill it every time . In my case it was planted next to the AC intake and when it flowered it drove you out of the house. Too much of a good thing ?? lol
    Good luck with your plan!!! gary

• opaka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I guess I'll try not to feel to guilty if it doesn't make it.

• opaka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops. Double post.

This post was edited by opaka on Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 21:22

• zzackey
    11 years ago

Sounds like alot of fertilzing to me. Read the label or go to the local Agricultural Center to find out how often to fertilize. Maybe it just needed watering?

• opaka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

the problem seems to be chlorosis from alkaline soil. It has all the classic symptoms. since it is planted near concrete, acidifying the soil and keeping that way will be nearly impossible. I was hoping to revive it somewhat this summer before trying to transplant it. I don't have much experience with gardenias though, and was wondering about other people's experiences with rescuing them.

• morningloree
    11 years ago

I just went around and fertilized mine with what I consider Krispy Kremes for gardenias. I once read a post that cracked me up, seems like the only thing that helps growers of gardenias is 2 shots of scotch and a Valium. The whole post was hilarious, thought it liked dappled shade, moved it to where it could get more sun, fertilized, added coffee grounds to soil, watered, stopped watering..

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

I had a gardenia potted for a few years but I eventually got tired of watering it often in the dry spring/summer and planted it next to a front wall next to the cement walk way to my front door. I thought it would be nice to have a wonderful smell right next to the door when its blooming not realizing they might have issues with having it planted so close to the house.

Here it was when it in a pot...

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

I also fertilized mine often...once a month from late Feb. through Oct. It was the only way I can keep the leaves from turning yellow all the time...I gave it "light" doses of fertilizer
    acid loving type of fertilizers...monthly.

Here it is a year after I planted it in the ground...

• crueltyfre
    11 years ago

I have a huge one, over 25 years old, surrounded by concrete, and never had an issue. I do know that some of the newer varieties of them have issues with yellowing leaves which is just how they are, and not where they are planted. I have a Miami Supreme which gets a lot of yellow leaves, but that's just normal for that variety.
    Lori