Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bouganvillea blooms -- some do, some don't....why?

Posted by Gator99 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 10:08

I have several bogies around my house. I have a large one in the ground and it is blooming beautifully. I also have some in containers on the front porch, and they are blooming pretty well. The ones in containers on the pool deck, however, are giving me issues. They are vibrant, green, and healthy looking, but they are not shooting out blooms, although they have in the past.

Notes about the non-blooming ones:

-They get about 6 hours of sunlight per day
-I put some fertilizer in them a couple months ago
-I water them about once or twice a week

Thanks for any tips on how I can get them to bloom.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bouganvillea blooms -- some do, some don't....why?

They bloom best if root bound. That takes a while OR you can bury them in their pot with the bottom cut out.

Nitrogen leads to green growth and no blooms.

o

It depends on location and amount of sun and that is about it. You can feed all you like but it's the sun that makes them bloom.

o

Bogies need full sun all day long to bloom their best. Withhold water unless leaves turn yellow and fall off. Here in South Florida they bloom best during winter when rain is scarce.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here