Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lila Avocado

Posted by dclegg 9a florida (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 10:27

Has anyone had experience with the Lila Avocado variety or winter mexican? A local grower said they would do better in The VIllages vs the Brogdon. We were planning getting the Brogdon, but I think she has changed my husband's mind (but not mine). It is a lot of money to put into one tree that might not make it! Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lila Avocado

Hi dclegg!
The correct name of this avocado is Lula. I live on the westside of Jacksonville and have Lula in my back yard for 3 years now. I protected it from freeze just 2 first winters. This past winter I was to busy to cover it and to my delight it has made it on it's own just fine. The tree lost a lot of leaves but the new are already growing. I didn't let my avocado tree to fruit yet, but this spring, I think, it is large enough and some fruit will be left to mature. So far, I'm very happy with Lula.

This post was edited by chara2 on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 16:49

o

I thought the same, but the lady at the nursery said they are not the same it is Lila. I think we are just going to go with our first choice Brogdon. We have been told by several people that it will not make it through the winter in 9a zone, but I think we are going to try. Pinetree nursery has them at Home Depot. THanks for your response.

o

Both Lila and Lula listed here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Avocado varieties

o

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 20:22

I have a Brodgen that is not mature and 3 winters ago I almost lost it to that week long freeze we had I have since bought a Winter Mexican. It is good down mid 20's Winter Mexican to low 20 and Lila is good down into the teens. Do some research on Opal as it seems to be the same tree as Lila.

Here is a link that might be useful: Avocado varieties at T T

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here