Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wishiwasinoz

Pleaching trees (stilted hedge) in Jacksonville?

wishiwasinoz
10 years ago

I would like to start a pleached stilted hedge on the inside of our pool area to hide the screen I loathe & add some privacy. Ideally, I would like the European hornbeam, but I don't think that will grow well here. Another option would be a pleached lime tree, as these are often used in Europe. I'm not so sure I want lime. The main characteristic of the tree is that is has to have the ability to inosculate.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I am a gardening newbie & am really looking forward to starting this project in our new home. I know there will be a lot of initial maintenance & I am okay with this. I also know I will have to manicure these plants around the pool. The solar cover will go down while I do this so all the debris does not end up in the pool.

The length is about 40' & I will only do the pleaching on that side. It faces kind of northeast & we are near the intercostal.

Thank you kindly for any suggestions.

I'll attach a couple of photos. First is our pool area:

Comments (23)

• wishiwasinoz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another photo

• wishiwasinoz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

That's a cool technique and idea. Why on the inside of the pool cage, though? How do you plan to trim and shape as the trees grow up against the screen? Do you realize how persistent new branches and growth can be? They will pop right through your screen if you are not very, very vigilant. And falling leaves will be in your pool? I don't see it working too well with the plants/trees on the inside.

Lime trees are out of the question in Jacksonville. Of all the citrus trees, lime are the most susceptible to cold damage and do not survive hard freezes. We have at least three hard freezes here ever winter. Some years, more, and some years, we have hard freezes several nights in a row. Limes will not do it. They are rather small compared to other citrus trees anyway. Well, unless you put them on the inside of the pool cage and add heaters/protection? Kind of iffy.

The whole idea of having to maintain that shape, while pretty, is a daunting task to me. I know how fast things grow. For sure, you will need to pick something that is evergreen (not deciduous), unless you don't mind losing your privacy in the winter. Lisgustrum/privet might work, but they would need constant shaping and pruning. But neither limes nor privet have those ramrod straight trunks in your photos. I wonder what would be a good tree to use, too.

It will be interesting to see what others say. Keep us posted on your project!

Carol in Jacksonville

• wishiwasinoz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Carolfor your input! Why on the inside? I cannot stand the screen. It is a must where we live due to bugs, snakes, & other critters. I just hate looking at it. Aesthetically, it is just not my thing. The pleached hedge is so visually appealing to me & will greatly help to minimize the screen. I will train it using frames (see below, similar to espalier) so I will have complete control of keeping it out of the screen. I guess my biggest hesitation is the time it is going to take to fill in. This is a multi-year project.

I don't mind being out there several times per week fiddling with it, either. My goal is to have the screened-in area to be a garden oasis. We put the planters around the inner perimeter for this exact reason,knowing there would be some maintenance that would come with it.

• wishiwasinoz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another:

• thetradition
    10 years ago

I am totally impressed that a gardening newbie knows the words "inosculate" and "pleaching".

Your problem is you want a plant that will grow fast and fill in the structure, but not so fast that maintaining that look will require weekly trimming.

Ficus will do what you're intending to do, but I don't think that will survive Jacksonville winters. I know you can espalier apples, but I don't know if they'll inosculate. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

i don't think she means 'lime tree' as in citrus tree.
    in europe lime tree is a name for linden tree. which will not do well in fl, as far as i know. it's a temperate zone tree.
    as i mistaken, wishi?

Here is a link that might be useful: european lime tree

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like you have 'a planting bed' L-shaped running the length of the pool.
    that's where you want to plant 'hedge plants'? you'll need enough clearance between the screen and growing branches to be able to clip often. if you miss pruning for whatever reason - the growing branches can damage the screen. i know people grow plants in containers in cages, but it is usually on a small scale and not against the cage.
    the only thing 'safe' that comes to my mind is 'a green wall' - a standing structure with pockets planted with smallish flatish plants that you can maintain easily.
    but that can be problematic too when you have high winds, which i am sure you will have from time to time.
    it has to be wind-permeable.
    it would be prudent to get professional advice.

• wishiwasinoz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well thanks, TheTradition! I've done a boatload of research. One of my goals in moving to our new home was to become a gardener. My studies are starting to paying off! :-) I need to find some classes at UNF or FJCC to take, as well.

Yes, the European linden was what I had in mind, but I'm sure they won't survive here.

Petrushka, yes, it is an L-shaped planter. I think I am willing to take the risk. If it's something I find I cannot keep up with, then I will move onto Plan B. I feel like if I don't do it, I will always look at that area & think, "I should have tried."

After some careful thought, I think I am going to try the American Hornbeam. More suggestions from Keri at Ivy Clad are magnolia grandiflora, evergreens, or fig trees. I'm going to head to one of the local nurseries & get some feedback from there before I make a final decision.

Thank you all for your comments!

Here is another inspiration pic:

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Holy mackerel, magnolia grandiflora? Mine is about 40' tall and its only ten years old. The trunk is about two feet in diameter.

Where will you put the ladder when pruning? It looks like it will have to be in the pool. Don't discount the space you need between the trees and you in order to be able to do the pruning. And again... the clippings and the leaves...

I would really strongly suggest that you do some actual gardening for a few years before starting this. I could tell you soooooo many stories about things I thought I would do as a gardener with the proud thought, "I can do that" or "I can keep that under control". Uh yeah, right. I now have a background of experience and understanding of what is really practical - and likely to happen - when I start a gardening project. And I spend a lot of time gardening.

But if you go for it, this could be a learning experience on a grand scale.

My last piece of advice: seriously, if you do this, plant the trees on the outside of the screen.

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 9:07

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

same reaction here on magnolia :).
    dwarf figs(the fruiting kind) is a possibility, they can be espaliered. but they are deciduous - so will stand bare in winter?
    carol,
    what do you think about gardenias or camellias? they are both evergreen, but they don't like to be near leaching concrete, i know that. provided you can take care of the proper soil/ferts... they could be pruned small, don't they? though they don't inosculate.
    i found a nice article from UofFl with list of shrubs/trees good for espalier. they are both on the list.
    but looking at images of pool cages i see mostly smallish palms planted next to pools.

Here is a link that might be useful: what can be espaliered in fl

• wishiwasinoz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

petrushka, thank you so kindly for that great resource!

I've decided on the East Palatka Holly. I found some gorgeous 15 gallon trees that have that gorgeous straight trunk I am after. They are already quite full & I can shape them any which way, which will allow me to keep them quite narrow so they don't bother the screen. I will list some more photos once I have it all up & running. :-)

• jat1997
    8 years ago

So thinking of the same idea just not in a cage and in CA. Do you have any pics now that I see it has been a year. Mine would be outside and along a yard so considering the Apple or Pear to also get fruit. Only hesitation is I also would like year round coverage on them I think.

• petrushka (7b)
    8 years ago

wishi,

i am also curious how it worked out for you?

• Raj Lexus
    8 years ago

Please share the Pics, thinking do some thing similar in CA, Zone 10.

• PRO
    Chris Diamond Gardening and Horticulture
    8 years ago

I was going to suggest Holly. They naturally grow almost completely straight and can take heavy pruning. Anything deciduous will cause a loss of privacy for a couple of months.

• dirtygardener73
    8 years ago

I'm going to be blunt here. This whole idea is untenable. May I suggest something like confederate jasmine as opposed to trees? It blooms, is evergreen and very hardy. Trees are not a good choice for inside a pool screen. That screen is more fragile than it looks. I've seen palm fronds cut through it. I know you hate it now, but after awhile, you won't even see it. Pleached trees is not something for a beginning gardener anyway. Look into the jasmine. I think you'd like it better in the long run.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Not to mention the reduced light levels inside the lanai. You might think that because you can see well enough inside it that it's light enough for nice, full plant growth. I know some shade-tolerant things do do well on the inside, but you're going for fullness of foliage, and that means high light levels. Don't believe me? Take a light meter and do comparative readings inside and outside the lanai.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hmm, I'd kind of disagree with that, Tom, at least in FL. There are all kinds of plants that will grow inside a screen enclosure here, and not just shade tolerant ones. Of course it depends on the site to some extent, but for sure in most of FL if it's just screen you can grow all sorts of things.

EDIT Some things, like palms, will grow slower than normal, but that's not necessarily a drawback in an enclosed setup.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Admittedly, only trying it will tell the tale, but wishiwasinoz is going for fullness, screening, all that.

• PRO
    Chris Diamond Gardening and Horticulture
    8 years ago

I highly disagree with Confederate Jasmine. It blooms for 3 months if your lucky and the maintenance is a royal PITA.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

wishiwasinoz is going for fullness, screening, all that.

Yes, that's a valid point.