Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linchat_gw

Found Pine Bark Fines South Florida

linchat
15 years ago

Hello all,

I finally found a place in South Florida that sells pine bark fines. It is called universal supply in pompano beach. It is called a soil conditioner. About $4 for a 2 cu.ft. bag. I posted over in container forum and here as well as I know the subject comes up from time to time.

Hope it helps someone.

Comments (6)

• ben_in_sofla
    15 years ago

Thanks, I go to universal a lot and never bothered to check with them about fine bark. Bushel Stop also has the pine bark fines, although I think it's more expensive there or maybe its a larger sized bag.... I'll have to check...

• Pentacles
    9 years ago

Hello,
    I am new to the forum, and would like to thank you very much for sharing this information. I have purchased the pine bark fines from Universal, after much frustration with other products. I had purchased the "fines" from Bushel Stop, and lost 75% of the bag with material that was too large and the dust. Bushel stop should not call this product "fines", because it is not. The product from Universal is about 1/4 bark that is too large (does not pass through 1/2"screen) and 1/3 "dust" (passes through 1/4" screen). Still very time consuming to screen this stuff, but at least Universal's yields alot more at the end, and it is @ $2
    cheaper per bag than Bushel Stop.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Bark does not hold up well in Florida heat and humidity. I would not use 'fines' as they will break down quickly. If you don't mind repotting yearly, its okay. You would be better off going with straight gritty mix which will hold up.

I'm in Sarasota and grow orchids and some dirt plants. I use orchid bark for the orchids and inexpensive Timberlane (Walmart) pine bark pieces with dirt plants. I only use about 1/3 to perlite and miracle gro potting mix. I've had no problem with this as most of the dirt plants outgrow their pots after about a year or two.

I find orchid bark holds up the best (good orchid bark, not the cheap stuff) but most of my orchids are getting moved to rock because I can't afford to repot hundreds of plants each year using bark.

Just my experience and opinion.

Jane

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    Here's my two cents lol I get mine from Walmart "Timberline" brand comes in a purple bag Costs under 3 bucks for 2cf. I found the quality to be more consistant than
    the type I bought from Bushel stop. You'll have to check out the website for Walmart while all the stores carry Timberline not all carry the smaller size
    My basic mix for dirt plants is 3/1 using top soil .
    i'm now using this on my terrestrial and semi epi orchids
    Use crushed lava for epis
    Works for me and I save a fortune lol gary

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    9 years ago

Walmart purple bag - $2.68 - it's all I use:

{{gwi:440844}}

Carol in Jacksonville

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Thanks Gary and Carol. That's it! Sorry, spelled it wrong. Stuff works great.

Jane

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?