Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Caladium bulbs: 3 for $1 at Ace Hardware

Some of the Ace Hardwares here in Jacksonville had caladium bulbs on sale at 3 for $1. That is a really, really good price. They are running $0.75 - $1.50 each at most places this year. It included all varieties that they carried, which varied from store to store.

I haven't been able to find the ad online so I don't know which stores have the sale nor how long the sale lasts. It could have ended yesterday but I hope not! :)

Carol in Jacksonville

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 11:20

Comments (21)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bumping down.

Original Author
    10 years ago

In the past week, two Ace Hardwares in Jacksonville are selling the caladium at 3 for $1! I really jumped in yesterday with both feet! Both store had a huge variety from which to choose and .... exactly the ones I wanted. I went a little nuts. :)

The stores are 1) Hagan Ace on San Jose Blvd - the one farther south on the east side of the road, and 2) Proctor Ace on Atlantic Blvd at Atlantic Beach (east of intercoastal waterway).

Boy, if you are looking for a good price on caladium, this is it!

Carol

• ibarbidahl
    10 years ago

Must. Not. Go. To. Ace. Hardware> again..... ACK!

Are you TRYING to get my hubby mad at me? LOL.

I sure hope they are still at that price this weekend. I cna't see any other way to get by there before Friday.

Barbie~

Original Author
    10 years ago

Barbie,

I do hope you are able to get some (without upsetting your husband)! Just wanted to mention that it has only been two Ace Hardwares that I have seen so far that have this sale. I was in two others that did not have any caladium bulbs at all. So you may want to call before you go out of your way ... or rock the boat at home. ;)

Carol

Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The Ace Hardware on Atlantic Blvd in Atlantic Beach (in Jacksonville, FL) has this sale again this year: caladium bulbs 3/$1. You just can't beat the price! While Lowes and Home Depot are selling bags of eight for $6.98, Ace is delivering excellent stock and wide varieties at a terrific price. Yesterday they had White Queen, White Christmas, Moonlight, John Peed, Postman Joyner, Carolyn Whorton and several other varieties in open-stock boxes - you mix and match into your own paper bag. While you are there, this particular Ace has a great selection of other harder-to-find plants. I am not related to this store in any way; just a very happy customer!

Carol in Jacksonville

• whgille
    9 years ago

Hi Carol!

Long time no see you! I am glad to know that you are still around, don't be a stranger, I missed your posts...

Silvia

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    9 years ago

No "Frog In A Blender"? I don't know why, but I really would like to get my hands on that cultivar.

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm going to run by my store and see if they do tjis in Hollywood

• SusieQsie_Fla
    9 years ago

HI Carol

I'm so glad to see you posting and hope you'll keep it up. Like Silvia, I noticed that you've been MIA and it's been terrible.

Michael, I looked up F-i-a-B caladium and thought I would be grossed out, but it is really pretty. I think it should be renamed Cuban-Treefrog in a Blender.

Susie

Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sylvia and Susie, recently, I've been lurking around and getting my sea legs on this new forum. I'm getting used to it and now I like it ok. Just takes some getting used-to.

Leekle, the Frog-in-a-blender is awesome! Thanks for giving me a heads-up... something else to watch for. :)

You are all too kind... I've missed you both and everyone else, too! (And of course, like everyone else, I've been busy out in the yard!)

Carol in Jax

8 years ago

I've been to various Ace hardwares in my area, figuring location probably has a bit to do with selection (the one down the road from me caters mostly to agriculture types so lacks a lot of home gardening stuff), but I have been unable to find this deal at any of them and the clerks know nothing of it. Soumds like you have a good deal up there.

• whgille
    8 years ago

Carol, I am so happy to see your posts, I like when everyone share their ideas and experience with all of us, the more varied the subjects, the better it gets. It is up to all of us to make this place lively and talk gardening stuff. The more posters the merrier.:)
    Talking about caladiums...in my garden I had some red and white and forgot the names already, the only ones coming back where the white ones, if it was not for your post I would completely forgot that I had the red ones too. The funny thing is that the white ones are even older.

Michael, I noticed that not all the Ace stores are equal, I guess depending on the location some are better stacked than others with gardening stuff. I am going to check mine this week and see what they have, I always get something there anyhow for the garden.

Silvia

• fla_weedwacker
    8 years ago

Hi Carol- My husband and I met you a few years ago at a garden tour of the Jax. Zoo. We love caladiums. Last year we went to the caladium festival in Lake Placid. We bought over 300 bulbs. They were charging $5 dollars a bag and there between 20 to 25 bulbs in a bag.

Original Author
    8 years ago

I remember you and your husband! We had a good time at the Zoo! I have never made it down to the Caladium Festival, but I'm sure you were in heaven. I would have probably lost my mind. Did you overwinter your bulbs in the ground, or did you lift them? Mine are just coming back from spending winter in the ground and I'm eager to see how many come back. It was a very wet winter (which promotes rot). Keeping my hopes up, as I've seen quite a few spears breaking ground.

Took these pictures at Home Depot yesterday. This is the definition of insanity - three (3) bulbs for $10. I don't care how big they are; that is craziness!

Carol in Jacksonville

• whgille
    8 years ago

Hi Carol, I saw my red bulbs breaking ground, they are in the front yard which is cooler than the backyard where the white ones are up.

Silvia

8 years ago

All the caladiums I left to 'suffer' through the winter have returned. They were Wally World 'Out of season sale' specials, but they came up after planting and returned two weeks ago where upon I dug them up and moved them. The corms where fat and didn't even blink at being transplanted.

Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Silvia and Michael, my bulbs are finally up, too. It's so interesting to me that I am 2-3 weeks behind you guys every year. It's like the azalea blooms - slowly rolling northward and now in Augusta, GA (as scheduled, just in time for the Masters Tournament). Jacksonville's were done a few weeks ago. I assume yours were done even longer ago - if you have azaleas that far south?

Anyway, back to caladiums. All my little spears are up now - and happily, lots and lots have returned from last year. I have been holding my bags of new ones, waiting to plant until after I could see where I needed to fill in. Now that the spears are up, I can go ahead and start planting the new ones.

Yesterday I was at the Hagan Ace Hardware in Julington Creek (south part of Jacksonville). They had a huge selection of caladium bulbs and many of the new varieties - but not inexpensive at $1.49 per bulb. At your suggestion, Michael, I bought a few Frog-in-a-Blender! I'm going to put them in a pot so that I can keep good track of them. I looked at photos of different caladium varieties for awhile to try and figure out what would be the best match with Frog and make them look pretty. I think Florida Moonlight - an almost all white leaf with a light green margin - will offset Frog-in-a-Blender best. (Any other suggestions?) I'm headed back to the other Ace Nursery this afternoon so I can
    buy some Florida Moonlight to companion plant with them in the same
    pot (3/$1).

Carol

Happy days are here again!

Original Author
    8 years ago

This was the front circle on June 2, 2014:

Original Author
    8 years ago

Silvia, hope those red ones are open now and looking gorgeous?! My
    whites all came up first - they always do, every year. The reds and pinks are up now, too, but fewer of them returned
    than the whites. For me, the old standard whites (White Christmas,
    Aaron, Candidum, etc.) are the most reliable returners.

I have a
    stinking armadillo around here and the other night, he got into my front
    circle. He tossed out a caladium bulb that has been in
    there a few years. Look at the size! I was shocked! I snapped some quick photos before replanting it:

Carol

• whgille
    8 years ago

Carol, that is a huge bulb! I hope that the armadillo is gone now and looking for another home. My dogs don't like any other animals in the backyard but they cannot go to the front yard and sometimes I get a squirrel, last year I had an armadillo and I am glad that he left.

Like you I noticed that the white ones come back, the red ones too but later and I think the pink ones less.

Here is a lonely pink

Some of the red ones

Silvia