Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonnys_gw

Small holes, zucchini leaf

jonnys
15 years ago

Hello, my first time growing zucchini, or any squash for that, the variety is Plato F1. I started from seed and its growing great. I noticed the other day that there were a few small holes on the tip of the leaf on one plant. Looking at it today the holes have gotten a bit bigger, though the only insects I can find on the plant are some small ants. Could this turn into a bigger problem, and what can I do to remedy it?

Thanks, Jon

Comments (7)

• tclynx
    15 years ago

Are you noticing anything else odd on the leaves? As in did the holes start out as brown spots before becomming holes? Or does it just look like a bit of physical damage?

If it is only on one leaf of one plant and you can't find any bugs (other than ants) and there are no bug eggs on the undersides of the leaves, then I wouldn't worry for now.

However look very closely as some caterpillars are so very tiny that it is difficult to see them hidden in amongst the ribs of the underside of the leaf. If it is caterpillars, then get some thuricide and mix according to the directions and spray both sides of the leaves of that plant and all around it. Do this around dusk since doing it early in the day can cause the spray to burn the leaves. Thuricide only works against leaf eating caterpillars and is pretty harmless to everything and everyone else unless you happen to be allergic to one of the ingredients.

Of course you can take to squishing the caterpillars by hand if there are not many of them but you gotta do it daily or they will get ahead of you.

• whgille
    15 years ago

Jon
    In Florida, growing crops is a challenge. We get hit with bugs.
    I spray with only things that do not harm my dogs or the environment. And only the crops that need it. Unfortunately, zucchini is one of them.
    tclynx gave you a good solution. Bt (Thuricide), you can find it at the big box stores.
    Spinosad is good too, but more difficult to get it.
    Spray under the leaves and early morning or late in the day, not to harm the plants or bees. Is better to be preventive than to battle more bugs in the future.

I have not grown the variety of zucchini you planted, but I have few varieties in my garden now. I will post pictures and information about how well they do.

Have a good growing season!

• tomncath
    15 years ago

I agree, two things that absolutely require maintenance spraying are zukes and cukes...make sure you get a garden sprayer with a bent neck at the wand tip; otherwise it'll be hard to spray the undersides of the leaves.

Tom

• tclynx
    15 years ago

All the cuc family plants tend to be a challenge here in Florida. If it isn't the caterpillars (which are fairly easy to take care of with BT (thuricide or dipel dust) it's the vine borrers or the squash bugs or the leaf footed bugs and if it isn't bugs, it's powdery mildew. But I still try!!!!! I can usually get a fairly good early crop of squash and zucchini since they grow fast before the worst of the pests set in. It is the longer crops that give me more trouble like the winter squashes, gourds, pumpkins and cucumbers. I've heard that seaweed fertilizer can help against the powdery mildew since it gives the plants extra potassium but I haven't actually tried it yet. I suppose potassium bicarb would work too if I can figure out where to get it for a better price than the maxicrop.

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    15 years ago

flea beatles.

• jonnys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for the help, I will keep a close eye on them and try and figure it out. But in the meantime I would like to shop around, and am looking for a location that I might be able to purchase the seaweed and the thuricide?
    Jon

• tomncath
    15 years ago

HD carries Southern Ag's Thuricide in an 8oz. bottle.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz