Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peonies in Zone 10

Posted by ladymarmalade 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 12, 09 at 12:12

Has anyone had any luck growing peonies in South FL? I saw some peony bulbs in Walmart this week and was tempted to buy them butdon't they require a certain amount of chill time? The package did not provide much info.
Thanks, guys.
Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peonies in Zone 10

lADY:

tHEY SELL THEM TO UNSUSPECTING NOSTALGICS LIKE YOU AND ME, BUT THEY WILL NEVER GROW OR BLOOM HERE. I AM IN ZONE 9B WHICH IS EVEN COOLER THAN YOURS AND I BOUGTH THEM BEFORE I KNEW BETTER. PEONIES NEED TO GO THROUGH VERY COLD WINTER TEMPS IN ORDER FOR THEM TO BLOOM AND THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN THIS FAR SOUTH. SHAME ON WALMART!

o

Jen,
They don't last for more than a season or two in z9 so I don't think you'll have any luck in z10. Sorry. I miss them too.

Kate

o

I just read a post from a gardener in Alabama who said that peonies don't do well there because of the heat. ALA is zone 7-8. I love peonies as well, but in z10 I think that we can just forget about them.
sorry,
Avalon
PS - some large flowering triple hibiscus sorta look like peonies, and we can grow those here, plus they flower year round.

o

One of the big ruffly camellias may work too.

o

Thanks, guys. I love all the tropical plants that thrive in SoFl, but I am a greedy gardener. I want to grow all the things I loved to grow up North too! I guess I should just be happy with my hibiscus and bouganvilla. Thanks for all the responses!

o

Wayside sells one they claim will work in zone 9 but I called the horticulturist and he said don't even try. I did read somewhere about some trick about packing them in ice or something like that, ANybody know?

o

They just can't take the heat. They will wilt and falter if they even get a touch of our direct sun.

o

I had trouble growing peonies in the Atlanta area when I lived up there--summers were too warm and wet. Not enough winter up there either!

Please, make the adjustment to the area in which you live!

o

Just looking at the Wayside catalog. They have one peoney they say can go in zone 9 and a couple of tree peonies.

o

Hi
If you really, really want to grow them you can "reverse cycle" Get ones that have been pre chilled ,plant out in Oct. grow until May or when they decline. Dig them up clean them VERY well put them in cloth bags in the refrigerator until Oct, and start over . If we have a particularly cool winter you will get some flowers if not you'll get some spindly growth. This works with most of the temperate bulbs but sure is a lot of work .lol gary

o

Couldn't a person make a "sack" out of chicken wire...put the bulbs and peonies into it...plant with all the needed drainage, mulch, ect. in pots...then when it's time to remove them...just pull of the chicken wire with the bulbs in it...put in paper bag and refrigerate or freeze?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here