Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floridajane_gw

Artichokes?

floridajane
16 years ago

I picked up an artichoke plant at HD yesterday that had three plants within it. Has anyone ever had luck with these guys? I'm in the Naples area and I wonder if this climate is going to work out for them. I read that in the proper conditions they can exist as 4-foot perennials. Wild!

Thanks in advance!

Jane

Comments (14)

• castorp
    16 years ago

I've been waiting for someone to respond to this. Since no one has, I'll say what little I know.

Everything I've read about growing artichokes in Florida and even the Southeast says they do not do well here. The problem they say is that the heat and humidity make the artichokes tough even when they're small.

I love artichokes and I've been wanting to try growing them. I considered growing an Italian annual variety--violetta something or other. The description, in Pine Tree Seed Catalog, said they are started in the fall in Italy--as many vegetables are here, so I thought it might work. I still haven't tried it though because of lack of space. But almost everything else I've read says the green globe type will do best.

I am VERY interested to know how the artichokes grow for you. Please post your results.

Thanks
    Bill

• atreelady
    16 years ago

I know nothing about growing them but I am interested in perennial vegetables so I am trying to grow some with seeds. So far - nada. The seeds package says they are alcachofa emerald.

• lisaftmyers
    16 years ago

I purchased two plants as well at the HD store. It's an experiment for me as well.

• floridajane
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, so we'll all sit back and see what happens. I love the idea of a perennial veggie, and I can't find any info that says anything worse than the plant needing 50 cool days to get going, so I'll keep them alive and see if anything ever happens! I'll keep you all posted if you do the same!

Jane

• lisaftmyers
    16 years ago

Bumping this topic up.

Bluesky7..do tell us what you know about growing these in SW Fla.

Jane, I'll keep you posted on how mine are doing.

• bluesky7
    16 years ago

Hi. Did you read my post re: globe artichokes? It's one of the newer posts because I'm new on here (but not to gardening) and am so glad to have found such a neat site! :)

• celeste_gardener
    15 years ago

I live in West Central Florida. I have 15 plants in the garden.I stared them from seed in February. Three are doing good, the rest are different sizes. I am going to try a liquid fertilizer as the granular does not seem to be doing the job. Is anybody else having any luck?

• bluesky7
    15 years ago

Anyone see my post? Hope it helps. :)

• joannenftmyers_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have been growing the artichoke plants from seeds since February 2010, the seed packet stated "it could take up to a year to produce artichokes" While the plants did not like the hot summer they survived. I kept them in the shade on the north side of the house during the summer. I then moved them to the east side this fall. The plants couldn't look better, they seem to be getting ready to produce. They really liked the composted horse manure I spread on them recently.

• brob1969
    13 years ago

How are everyone's FL artichokes doing?

I have recently started 9 from seed and they're doing well so far; of course it isn't summer just yet! I have the "Emerald" variety and the information says it takes 6 months to a year to produce artichokes for eating.

• ccbear3_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have 3 seedlings that I'm going to try to grow, and just read Joanne's advice about keeping them in pots and moving
    them around, hope it works for me too.

• WMacGarden
    12 years ago

I'm in Ocala and I have 4 HUGE (about 4 feet diameter) artichoke plants (Green Globe) that I planted last August. Although I'd read various opinions online about the impossibility of growing them in Florida, my kids love artichokes and it's very rare to find organic ones in Ocala. I told them I would try.

However, right now I'm seeing a lot of insect activity on them and I don't see any buds at all, despite the warm weather we've had this year. Has anyone every seen Asian cockroaches on artichokes? I can't find anything about it. I've never seen cockroaches of any kind in my garden before, so I'm not sure if they are enemies or not. However, I do see areas where the leaves have been eaten and the cockroaches are hanging out in there, so I'm guessing they are bad. I've also seen some large black beetles. Also I see many ladybugs (which means there must be aphids) and spiders. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Any help from you successful Florida growers out there would be very appreciated!!

• plantman224
    11 years ago

I live in central fl (deland) and currently growing rhubarb a perennial vegetable they say won't grow here, due to our heat in summer and lack of cold in winter, however i recently met a man who has been growing it for the last 5 years he says that all you have to do is dig them up in may, put them in the freezer untill October then replant, i was wondering if this same method could be applied to artichokes here as well, anyway hope this helps. (and ps my rhubarb is looking fantastic!)