Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
meyers lemon/peach tree

Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 12:35

At Lue gardens yesterday we made a couple impulse buys of a meyers lemon and a couple peach trees. The trouble is that we have no idea of what the growing requirements for these trees and need some advice! Can anyone give us some direction?

Kara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: meyers lemon/peach tree

I grow both and they are easy to grow...no special needs on the Myers but the peach will need yearly pruning and they grow FAST. I placed the peach trees in our native sugar sand then mulched a circle 10 foot across and 10" deep. They are happy as clams.

o

Congratulations on your new trees! How fun! Regarding the lemons, you may wish to educate yourself on Citrus Greening Disease (HLB) which is rapidly destroying trees throughout Florida, Texas and has now been discovered in California. The link below is excellent.

All nursery citrus trees must be treated with a systemic drench prior to being sold. The ISD tag shows the treatment date and the retreat date (six months after initial date). Current advice is for the homeowner to retreat before the expiration date on the ISD tag. The primary reason is to prevent the Asian citrus psyllid from spreading Citrus Greening (HLB).

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: FL Dept of Agriculture - Citrus Greening Disease (HLB)

o

Here is another good link from the University of Florida, IFAS Extension: Dooryard Citrus Production: Citrus Greening Disease.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dooryard Citrus Production: Citrus Greening Disease

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 18:29

I am having problems with my pc, I can't get your links to come up. What do you treat with exactly? Thanks

o

Hi Katkin,

The first link I posted is for a website but the second is for a PDF document. Do you have Adobe Reader installed on your computer? It is free and used to open PDF documents. You may need to install it.

I treat my citrus with a systemic called "Bayer Fruit, Citrus & Vegetable Insect Control". The active ingredient is Imidacloprid.

Carol

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 6:28

Thanks Carol, I do use the Bayer's on my citrus. I just didn't know if it helped with the greening. I'll do it again today I am sure it's time, so thanks for reminding me.

o

Imidacloprid - I believe that's the same active ingredient in flea medicine for cats/dogs.

Good luck with your trees!

o

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 13:03

Thank you for all the information. I'll probably be back with some more questions soon!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here