Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keiki_gw

children and herbs

keiki
10 years ago

For Earth Day I will be introducing a group of kids to herbs. We will be planting some seeds and I will tell them all the fun stuff like how you use oregano on pizza or how you can make your water taste good adding mint or lemon balm. I have nice little bamboo pots, soil and the seeds for them to plant and take home and watch grow. I will have nice potted herbs they can smell and taste so they can pick an herb that they like the most. I am working with the elementary school across the street from my work place and I don't know what age group they are setting me up with yet. I am here hoping you might have experience gardening with kids that you can share with me. Also other than basil and chives which herbs grow easily from seed and germinate rather quickly so they don't lose interest.

Comments (9)

• tomncath
    10 years ago

Parsley germinates fairly quickly.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    10 years ago

Do not let the children smoke your herb.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

That's weird. Parsley was my slowest germinator. Basil is super easy to grow and we love to eat it on pizzas. Basil grows quickly from seeds. Chives never stop once you get them growing. Rosemary is a great perennial for chicken soup and for a nice flavored hot tea.
    Basil grows like a weed and chives grows well but it is alot smaller. My Thyme plant survived 20 degrees several times this winter. I am impressed. It is flowering now and I hope it attracts beneficial insects.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

I've done a fair amount of gardening projects w/ kids in our after school program over the years & also as a kids activity for the Green Thumb Festival here.

Unfortunately, it's the wrong time of year to be starting parsley - it prefers cool weather. Mine gets started in the Fall/Winter & dies out when the hot, humid weather hits.

Garlic chives are even easier to grow than regular ones, IME, & may be started from seeds or divisions year-round. Mints are fun because kids are familiar w/ the flavor, but tricky to start from seeds - rooted cuttings are easier. Basils are by far the easiest to start from seed - again, IME. Fennel starts & (usually) grows easily & can be a butterfly plant as well.

Not exactly an herb, but scallions/bunching onions are not too hard to start & grow & many kids enjoy nibbling on them.

HTH

• tomncath
    10 years ago

I've been able to grow parsley all year long, just have to keep it cool and dry. 4-5 gallon clay pots, filtered sun/shade and protected from the summer rains....

I agree about the basil and garlic chives.

Although not from seed rosemary sure is easy to start from sprig tips, I keep about twenty going in various sizes to give away as gifts. Usually start them in 3oz Solo bathroom cups, the kids would be able to take them home in the solo cups and pot them up as they grow.

• mocropot
    10 years ago

I am not an herb expert but you can try dill, easy from seeds, attractive plant and very nice flowers like an umbrella and I like how it smells. You can use in the chicken soup and salads

• afishlady
    10 years ago

Edible flowers would be fun! Nasturtiums, chives, and lavender would be fun to taste and pretty as a garnish on snacks.

Mint would be a great herb to have on hand for them to taste. They could eat it plain or add it to sweet tea after their planting as a refreshment. Here is a quick recipe for mint sweet tea that they could make with you and many age groups could make it at home for their parents too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mint-Infused Sweet Tea

• keiki
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your reply's. I wish we were using small plants or something other than herb seeds at the end of April but its what the owner wants to do. I found out I will be working with a gifted class of fourth graders. Hmmm smart 10 years olds, this should be interesting for a girl who hasn't spent much time around children. Ricky I may just have to let them smoke. :o)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

Just know that gifted kids are usually eager to learn, so it should be a fun experience.

Arugula counts as an herb in my book - it sprouts readily & is spicy - esp. the perennial type...

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996