Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
almond

Posted by pnbrown z6.5 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 08 at 12:56

Does anybody know if there are successful almond tree plantings in florida? I tried searching the net but didn't find any concrete reasons why they would not grow.

Also, what about the "tropical almond"? Supposedly the nut or endocarp is edible. Apparently it's not hardy inland in central florida, but if one could get it to grow in a sheltered location that might be good as I guess it's highly invasive......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: almond

There are so many great plants available in Florida, I would encourage you to stay away from invasives - especially anything labeled as 'highly invasive'! Even if you can control it's growth and spread, you can't control what happens after you move on. And you may not see how a plant spreads, even if you are trying to be a good steward. What if a squirrel hauls the nuts away, where they get dropped and sprout?

Are there other almonds or even other nut trees that aren't on the invasive list that you would consider trying?

o

Tropical Almond is on the restricted list for most of South Florida, check with your local Ag center before trying it.

o

I don't think tropical almond is a serious proposition for my location in any case. I'm a lot more curious about true almonds, and whether they can be grown in north/central.

o

Click here for almond tree info.

o

Thanks, Fawn. I did read that earlier today, doesn't really say anything about why, exactly, almond production is concentrated in CA. The obvious guess is that almonds don't handle humidity very well, or at least not heat and humidity together.

o

You also see a lot of almonds in hilly areas of Spain, Italy and Greece. Dry soil and low humidity.

o

I tried growing the non tropical almond after ty ty nursery stated that it would grow in my area and any area that peaches grow. I lost both the first year. Too hot for them.
And never trust Ty Ty.
Felix

o

try macademia nut, instead. ECHO is developing some cultivars for dooryard culture. they are BEAUTIFUL, medium-sized, prolific nut trees. google ECHO macademia.

o

Almonds need 300-500 hours of 45F or lower per year to produce (same as Peaches) and they must have dry summers...Central FL has neither.

For the (unrelated) "Tropical Almond" to be considered invasive is really a stretch. Maybe in the Keys or along Florida Bay at places very near where they're already growing.

FL also lists the Coconut Palm as invasive. Can you imagine: 1.Seeds getting into your yard (bird droppings, sticking to peoples' feet?) and/or 2. You not noticing them?

o

Bay Laurel Nursery in CA sells low chill hour peaches. I have Tropic Snow (white flesh) with peaches forming now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here.

o

OK, macademia - thanks Ill (better that than academia, for me!). I'll add it to my list for next year's plantings. It's getting to be a long list. I'll definitely be going to that place near Tampa y'all told me about........

Funny, apparently our property used to be peach orchard back in the 30's or so. I reckon they had more chill hours in those days.

o

there were a number of attempts to grow peaches on large scale in the 30s and 40s central fla. nematodes did them in.

o

They have recently developed several "tropical" varieties of peach that do well in south florida. The fruit is smaller and often somewhat lower quality than the typical georgia peach but still quite good. My dad had one in his yard and it was an extremely fast grower, very healthy and had lots of small peaches within a few years. Doesn't grow into a large shade tree more of a cross between a shrub and a tree, which I guess is more typical of a fruit tree, but seemed smaller and more bushy compared to northern peach trees.

I have looked myself and there aren't many nuts that can be grown in florida. The Pecan is the only really good nut and in the southern part of the state will have low fruit yields due to not enough chill hours, but at least will grow and bear nuts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here