Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pnbrown

almond

pnbrown
16 years ago

Does anybody know if there are successful almond tree plantings in florida? I tried searching the net but didn't find any concrete reasons why they would not grow.

Also, what about the "tropical almond"? Supposedly the nut or endocarp is edible. Apparently it's not hardy inland in central florida, but if one could get it to grow in a sheltered location that might be good as I guess it's highly invasive......

Comments (13)

• solstice98
    16 years ago

There are so many great plants available in Florida, I would encourage you to stay away from invasives - especially anything labeled as 'highly invasive'! Even if you can control it's growth and spread, you can't control what happens after you move on. And you may not see how a plant spreads, even if you are trying to be a good steward. What if a squirrel hauls the nuts away, where they get dropped and sprout?

Are there other almonds or even other nut trees that aren't on the invasive list that you would consider trying?

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

Tropical Almond is on the restricted list for most of South Florida, check with your local Ag center before trying it.

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't think tropical almond is a serious proposition for my location in any case. I'm a lot more curious about true almonds, and whether they can be grown in north/central.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

Click here for almond tree info.

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Fawn. I did read that earlier today, doesn't really say anything about why, exactly, almond production is concentrated in CA. The obvious guess is that almonds don't handle humidity very well, or at least not heat and humidity together.

• solstice98
    16 years ago

You also see a lot of almonds in hilly areas of Spain, Italy and Greece. Dry soil and low humidity.

• countrynest
    16 years ago

I tried growing the non tropical almond after ty ty nursery stated that it would grow in my area and any area that peaches grow. I lost both the first year. Too hot for them.
    And never trust Ty Ty.
    Felix

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    16 years ago

try macademia nut, instead. ECHO is developing some cultivars for dooryard culture. they are BEAUTIFUL, medium-sized, prolific nut trees. google ECHO macademia.

• oldned
    16 years ago

Almonds need 300-500 hours of 45ºF or lower per year to produce (same as Peaches) and they must have dry summers...Central FL has neither.

For the (unrelated) "Tropical Almond" to be considered invasive is really a stretch. Maybe in the Keys or along Florida Bay at places very near where they're already growing.

FL also lists the Coconut Palm as invasive. Can you imagine: 1.Seeds getting into your yard (bird droppings, sticking to peoples' feet?) and/or 2. You not noticing them?

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Bay Laurel Nursery in CA sells low chill hour peaches. I have Tropic Snow (white flesh) with peaches forming now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here.

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, macademia - thanks Ill (better that than academia, for me!). I'll add it to my list for next year's plantings. It's getting to be a long list. I'll definitely be going to that place near Tampa y'all told me about........

Funny, apparently our property used to be peach orchard back in the 30's or so. I reckon they had more chill hours in those days.

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    16 years ago

there were a number of attempts to grow peaches on large scale in the 30s and 40s central fla. nematodes did them in.

• rainman777
    12 years ago

They have recently developed several "tropical" varieties of peach that do well in south florida. The fruit is smaller and often somewhat lower quality than the typical georgia peach but still quite good. My dad had one in his yard and it was an extremely fast grower, very healthy and had lots of small peaches within a few years. Doesn't grow into a large shade tree more of a cross between a shrub and a tree, which I guess is more typical of a fruit tree, but seemed smaller and more bushy compared to northern peach trees.

I have looked myself and there aren't many nuts that can be grown in florida. The Pecan is the only really good nut and in the southern part of the state will have low fruit yields due to not enough chill hours, but at least will grow and bear nuts.