Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petrushka_gw

noid tree/shrub in se fl

petrushka (7b)
10 years ago

does anybody have an idea of what tree/shrub this might be?
it looks dead - pic taken in jan, in miami fl. but i think it's alive, just droped it's leaves.
it kind of reminds me of adenium with it's fleshy grey branches. it's not that big , perhaps 15' ?

Comments (12)

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

It is a Frangipani, aka Plumeria. They are bare in winter.

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wow, thank you! i thought it looked special. is it normal for them to reach that size? how old can it be, can you tell?

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Petrushka, I don't know how old it is, but that is an average-sized tree. Google Images has lots of cool photos of plumeria trees. It was a good question I hadn't thought about before. I had fun browsing and linked it below.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images - Plumeria trees

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oh, well, i do not post until AFTER i google :).
    sure, i saw a lot of trees, but who knows where they grow? which side of tropics?
    do they get this high in fl? i mean. obviously, in 33132 miami fl they do (my pic location) - but there are frosts in central/no fl. so i was wondering where they get a chance to grow into large trees and how long it takes to get a tree this size from let's say 4' seedling?
    i 'member your're in jax, right? so, do they get that high there? and how fast?

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Haha - I should have known better. They don't survive a freeze at all if left naked outdoors. The vast majority in north Florida, they are in pots. They have to be covered or brought in. No trees here except the ones covered or pots brought in or put in a greenhouse. I used to have mine pot-in-pot plunged in the ground, but it became too much work to pull them at the last minute. Now they are in large clay pots. Some people lift them completely and stack them horizontally in their garage or basement. I even read about one person who bagged the rootballs and stuffed them in her hall closet!

Ooops - to answer your question - I let mine get to about 6' tall and then I usually cut them back, just to make them manageable. That happens over about 2-3 years. Sultry_Jasmine_Nights, who lives just north of Jacksonville and has a greenhouse, may have some taller than that.

Carol

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 21:11

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oh, well. so then it's a pretty nice sized tree? would love to see it in bloom!
    i saw a lot of them everywhere in hawaii,... :). and also in mexico/yucatan. so i guess it's only current revised 11a - coastal SE fl and keys? no trees in the ground elsewhere, right?

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    I live in the north end of ten though very close to the coast so 5 10 degrees warmer than inland . Only time I've lost them is a hard freeze . I prefer the evergreen types
    they are sooo ugly in the winter without foliage lol
    I also keep mine short though there are several in my neighborhood well over 25 feet both ways
    I've seen very large ones in south Texas as well as Arizona and California of course. gary

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

One that size unpruned would probably be around 10 years old. They grow fairly fast.

They are zone 10 hardy and grow into the warmer parts of 9b. I see a few around Orlando near tree size. Around here they usually get knocked back every few years unless they are growing in a nice protected spot.

• User
    10 years ago

In the ground for about twelve years, we cut a foot or so off each dec. so we can cover it if needed. Pudica next to it.

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so why keep deciduous when you can have evergreen ones? are they more fragrant, have better flowers?
    i think they are crying for xmas lights on them! with all those naked branches it could improve the look quite a bit!
    or may be 'decorate' them with broms and orchids for the winter?

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    The deciduous come in far more colors, aromas and growth habit Several problems with using them for epiphytes . First the bark is very smooth and limbs are rather fragile . Second is than since they are deciduous the
    epi's go from dense shade to full sun through the year.
    There are epis that tolerate this but do far better in rough barked evergreen trees . I have an epicatt and a few epidendrums that I've experimented with . Those growing on palms carombiola are doing MUCH better.
    Some small broms might wotk but suspect that the limbs would snap during wind storms All the broms I have are terrestrial so have not tried besides I have a couple of squirrels who use the plumeria for gymnasiums lol
    has anybody had different results?? gary

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

people wrap their trees for warmth with xmas lights, don't they? i think it would look quite nice on pulmeria! or are branches too fragile even for that?
    broms/orchids: i was thinking more for temp winter display: like people take plants out for summer in the north, so in fl you'd take some orchids and small broms and put them into trees: the branches look very dense with lots of crotches.
    at least broms can take cooler temps, but cymbidiums would too! i mean you can just hang the slat baskets from the limbs, no? you could take them in if the storm comes.
    i'm just playing with ideas ;) - this denuded trees/bushes have a pretty good sculptural structure.
    can it support ficus pumila ? or it's a no-no?