Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to get avocado tree?

Posted by timetraveler 9b Melbourne Beach, (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 08 at 13:34

Can someone please direct me to a nursery or garden center where I might find a healthy avocado tree that would like to grow and produce in zone 9b? I live in Melbourne Beach. I wish I could go to the Brevard Rare Fruit Council's Fruit Tree Sale, but I'm going to be out of town that weekend.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to get avocado tree?

Home Depot, Lowes, any retail garden center. Most carry several different varieties of Avocado. If you want to make a drive, come down to Palm Beach County and go to Excalibur Fruit Trees on Fearnely Road.

o

Hi TimeTraveller,
I'd suggest bypassing Lameos and Home sh*tHole and go to the privately owned nursery right by lowes in Melbourne. It's about a block south on Minton. They have excellent selection and are ten bucks cheaper than lowes. They also know their stuff....get a mango while your at it(get a glenn)!! Best 50 you'll ever spend Good Luck!!

Mark

o

Thanks for the advice. I found a beautiful Day Avocado at the South Brevard Nursery.

o

I am looking for a Little Julie mango tree. Does anyone in central Florida know where I can find one. They are supposed to be a mini and can be kept in a big pot. That way I can drag it into the greenhouse when there is a freeze.

o

Ellen, please consider starting a new thread whenever you have a question unrelated to a current discussion, so it gets seen and answered promptly. Just title it as to the subject. We don't want you to feel ignored because we missed your question!

Jene's Tropical Fruit Nursery and Pine Island Nursery have dwarf Julie Mango trees. They are susceptible to fungal diseases, and need regular spraying. The fruits are rather small, and stay green. Once you skin it and cut out the pit, there is not much edible flesh left. I like mine, but there are lots of other "Condo Mango" varieties that have larger/better fruits and more disease resistance. Check out the Pine Island Mango variety viewer for more info.

Lisa

o

Lukas Nursery in Oviedo has several varieties of avacado trees available. I was just there a couple of days ago and they had a bunch. I was looking for apples, but they were sold out.

o

thank you Lisa. It was just a spur of the moment thing. In future, I will start a new thread. Also, I am glad that you me about the Julie. It does not as attractive as I imagined.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here